Things that are blooming...

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, last fall I ordered 200 markers from Everlast and a Labeling machine and that's as far as I got. Thought my DH and I would do labels while we watched 'Dancing with the Stars' but that was way too exciting/entrancing (for DH who had a crush on the lady wrestler)!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Viburnum x bodnantense 'Dawn', after titillating me all winter with her swelling bounty of buds, has finally opened her spicily fragrant pink boudoir. Talk about delayed gratification...

Got a few Narcissus showing their stuff, too; got to go look up those names. Forsythia x intermedia 'Happy Centennial', 'Sunrise', and 'New Hampshire Gold' are starting to strut.

Too dark and rainy to get any pics of them, but here's some Cornus mas 'Golden Glory' to tide over those still waiting for more spring promise.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

The forsythia as well as the nanking cherries are starting to pop, but we're in for a cold spell, so not sure what it will do.

I have tons of crocus up, a few daffs open, and a ton more with buds on them.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I have ten or fifteen crocus blooming! So shocked, since every year that I plant them the rabbits get them before they get close to flowering! I am thrilled--they are so pretty and cheery by the front steps. (-:

My forsythias will bloom this afternoon, I think. I can see them out my window here. VV, you have some unusual forsythias...will you show pics? I am looking for a beautiful, large, 'fountain' form of forsythia...do you have one of those?

Also about a hundred early daffs blooming and more coming on strong. The warm day yesterday really made things pop!

Isn't it time to do something to the lawn when the forsythias bloom? I forget. Anybody know? Fertilizer of pre-emergent something or other? We haven't done anything to our lawn since we moved here 2 1/2 years ago.

My wintersowing seeds are starting to sprout outside. Lots of different kinds of flowers. Now if I can just keep them going...

Reynoldsburg, OH(Zone 6a)

Tabasco:

Yes, it's time to put dowm some pre-emergent for the crab grass. It will do well even if it snows again, so that is not a worry. I sneeked out last week and put down some millorganite on my front lawn just as a quick treat. I use it all year round to keep it green and lush.

Mike

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I was finally able to get into the yard after the rains.
Hard to get shots in 6" of water.
Here's a few shots of bloomers.
First we have a ton of new volunteer Pulmonaria up.

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Catkins of Corylus avellana L. 'Contorta'
Better known as 'Harry Lauder's Walking Stick'

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

And a personal favorite Late Winter bloomer.

Thumbnail by henryr10
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hey Ric, what else would have would have those catkin things and grow wild? I have some like that at the sunny edge of the tree line. Have you ever rooted Harry? I want one really bad! LOL I saw them at the LA for $25. I know they are grafted but what do you get if you grow them by rooting only the tip?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Corylus americana maybe.

I've not tried a cutting.
I'll give it a shot.

I know ours suckers like crazy so I can get root stock.
Maybe do my own grafts.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

The other person selling them said that by rooting the top growth, you don't have to worry about suckers. I am trying to remember why that particular plant is grafted anyway. LOL

I tried to take pics of my whatever that looks like that and wouldn't you know that is when the wind kicked up?? I'll try again when it's not so um breezy!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

If you don't graft it forms a shrub.
Graft to a trunk and you get a tree.
Ours is probably 10 years old now.
Maybe 4' tall 3 wide.

I much prefer the tree form.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Let me know if you end up grafting some and how well it goes. :)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Henryr10, ,, I just love my Harry Lauder's Walking stick. I purchased it about 7 years ago from Heronswood Nursery mail order. Cant remember what I paid for the "twig" that was sent. I have since moved it three times,,, last time to our new home in Wyoming neighborhood...It is now about 3 ft high by 2.5 or more wide. I have never had suckers. I wonder if it is a tree or a shrub.. maybe a tree as it does have a plain "trunk". Kind of short albeit. Hmm. So yours is a tree? Would love to see a full picture of it.. maybe I could compare..
Also wondering how it will do with my new deer herd.. lol. Still wondering what to plant here... Came from a neighborhood with no deer,,, and I left a lot of great perrenials. sigh.
thanks for listening, flowerlou

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here it is flowerlou.

You can see the small suckers at the base.

Ric

This message was edited Mar 21, 2006 8:34 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

How tall does that plant or tree get?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Henryr10, wow, that was fast! Have you pruned yours at all? I have never, and it is more thick I think with branches than yours. I have thought about it for indoor decoration,,, I dont have a lot of experience with shrubs / trees. Is yours a tree? Do you know if deer avoid it? Yours is really lovely,, I sometimes just stare at all the great contortions the branches go through,, how cool is that? :)
Flowerlou.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

They can get 15'.
Ours is still a youngen and in partial shade.
I only prune the cross branches.
It has a tendency to rub branches and damage itself.
Definitely a tree.
I like the more open look, especially in Winter.

As for deer I don't know.
We have a 7' fence around the yard so they aren't a problem.
Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Henryr10, thanks for the reply. I do believe you are right about the damage from cross branches..... I really need to learn how to prune or when...Is it spring.. need to look this up. Mine has always been in almost full sun, and boy is it contorted, lol. maybe kind of like my baby brain, ( I have a 5 y.o and a 19 month old little boy).
I will try and take a picture,, perhaps you can take the time to look and tell me what you think?? The summer foliage isnt that great,,, but wow,,, the winter is it's time to shine, just love it. thanks again, Flowerlou.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is a picture of my Harry,, needs some tending to big time,, but had to get it moved to new house, then got very busy trying to get moved in. Thing is , the poor thing will have to be moved again because we are putting in a new drive and garage where it is.
Flowerlou

Thumbnail by flowerlou
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

It's got some good solid bones.
There are some nice big limbs there to work w/.
Just needs a little pruning.

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks Ric,,,I do believe it desperatly needs some pruning. As there is some damage due to rubbing. I was worried because I didnt know that was caused by. Flowerlou

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.