Superthrive, organic?

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Is this product considered organic?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know the answer to this one for sure, but I've never seen them say anything about being organic on the product label or in advertising, so I would take that to mean it's not. I would think if it were organic that they would advertise it somehow so people would know.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

not at all! i used it for a year on my lilacs. it basically is similar to MG, in that it is loaded with a certain synthetic vitamin. no tgood for your ground, only good for your plants short term. i don't use it any longer. and i don't recommend it.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya,

I agree with TamaraFaye in that Superthrive is not an organic material. Most of the claims it makes can now (and always had been) found in commercially available products these days. Seaweed extracts from the Norwegian wrack weed (Ascophyllum nodosum) is an especially good vitamin/hormone additive to a fertilization program or for plant recovery or transplant shock inhibition.

The material is sold in liquid and powder form these days with the most widely recognized trade name being MaxiCrop. The effects of seaweed extracts on plant growth has been tirelessly researched by professor T.L. Senn at Auburn University. MaxiCrop is the result of that research and has been copied by many other manufacturers.

best,
don

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

i love my MaxiCrop!

Some one gave me the superthrive as a Christmas Gift (hey--their thoughts were in the right place!). But I refuse to use anything non-organic on my soil (the ground--my garden beds) but I will use it on potted plants around the patio--unless ya'll convince me that it is unwise to even do that. MaxiCrop is organic then right? Is this readily available at big boxes and locally owned nurseries or an internet only type product?

Is that stuff they call Messenger along the same lines as superthrive?

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

MaxiCrop, i have found most anywhere.

Messenger, in an email reply to my request last year, says they consider themselves to be organic, but are not approved, and may not apply for approval. So, not understanding it completely, i passed.

maybe drdon can explain messenger to us?

As usual Tamara, you are a wealth of information and a gem of a person too! Thanks!
Debbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.