climbing mum's

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6b)

I have another mum question. My Ex MIL has a yellow mum that gets 7-8ft tall. I had never seen this before and thought that there was something wrong and she was out of her mind. I seen it so I know she's not. A few months later while watching a gardening show, they were soing a segment on mums and sure enough there are climbing mums and they are georgous on an arbor. I can't find any information when I do a search for climbing mums (should have payed more attention to the show). Can anyone direct me to where I might find any kind of information about them.

Dott

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Dott

I have never heard of climbing mums myself...but don't doubt your word.....Mums are very easy to root....perhaps you can take some good strong clippings from her plant and start some of your own.

Deann

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6b)

Deann,

I am hoping to get some cuttings in the spring from hers. Can you imagine having yellow mums growing up an arbor, what a display in the fall that would be. I would very much love to find more varieties.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Never heard of cl mums but I also don't doubt you. maybe you can contact www.kingsmum.com and they can enlighten you. The varieties I got last season grew to 3-4 feet and got kinda leggy like a climber, but would never go up a trellis.

I do know there are some called "cascading" mums, maybe that is what you have.

good luck.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6b)

Vossner,

Thanks you. The link didn't work for me (can't find website) so I did a search on cascading mums and YES that is what these mums are. I knew I had saw the information on HGTV and should have know it was on Gardening by the Yard. Thanks you again Vossner.

Here is a link to the program information.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_plants_perennials/article/0,1785,HGTV_3610_3485559,00.html

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6b)

P.S. The segment was done by Ted King of King's Mum.

What do ya know.

kings mum is a great place. I'm going to buy some more exotics varieties this year. Ones I bought last year grew very well.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6b)

I just made out an envelope to mail order King's catalog. I will be ordering from them myself.

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Vossner......Regarding your mums getting leggy. I pinch back my mums all the time till about August 1st...As I pinch them back, I make sure I pinch back a strong stem, then strip about 3 inches of leaves to the bottom, and just stick it into the ground next to the "mother plant" . When I do this, I make sure I cut off at least 6 to 8 strong stems and place around the plant. Trust me, it will root it self, and your mother plant will become round and full. Here in Northern Michigan, Mums start to bloom around middle September, and by stopping the pinching back by Aug 1st, this insures me to have some beautiful blooms....

Thumbnail by deann
Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

Dott,
Perhaps what your MIL did was take the cascading type and train them up the arbor. If they can grow down, they can probably grow up. Just a thought.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6b)

The mum (yellow) my MIL has was a gift to her from one of her daughters for mothers day a couple of yrs ago and was bought locally at a home center. She planted it beside her front porch. I was over there last spring and told her it was a little leggy and needed to be trimmed back. Well, she forgot as she always does. She calls her forgetfulness "mammaw's oldtimer disease". She called in late july and asked if she could still cut it back this late in the season. I told her I would come and do it for her and if anything went wrong she could blame me. I got over there a few days later and the mum was taller than she is. She is 5' couple inches. I cut it back to a foot or so and asked her later in the season if it had any problems blooming. She said "no" but it had gotten tall again. This time it was only above her waist by a little but blooming nicely. I wish I had taken my camera along with me to get a picture of this monster. Maybe it's a mutant. I swear I am not lying. I know it sounds unbelievable. I will try this year to get picks and cuttings.

Dott

thanks, deann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.