Gardening Today

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Why is that just because the weather warms up enough to get out and do some weeding and raking that all the neighbors think it's OK for them to do it too. Geez.

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Seriously? I must have the laziest neighbors in the South. I am usually the ONLY one working outside on the entire block.

I was wondering why, when you're doing a particularly difficult, complicated, or dirty job, why oh why does everyone have loads of helpful suggestions, yet nobody ever lifts a finger to actually HELP with the work? LOL. My former landlady once managed to get a roofer to chop down a tree she didn't like. He even chopped it up into appropriate sized peices. She enlisted my help to drag the tree chunks out to the curb for pick up. (They'll do that here, if you follow their instructions correctly.) While we did this -- just two women sweating our butts off, nothin' to see here -- no less than four or five people stopped in their cars to tell us what we were doing wrong and what we should have been doing better. Nobody was helpful enough to get out of the car and put their blisters where their mouth is.

Until you pitch in to help me, I go deaf the minute you start criticizing whatever I'm doing. ;>)

"LA LA LA LA Working to hard to hear you LA LA LA LA"

LOL. I know the feeling. My teen does it to me all the time.
"Mom, you should do it this way. Do you think he'd offer to do it or help?" NOT....

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Oh, I understand that coming from a teenager. An able-bodied adult? Meh, not so much.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Heehee,

We don't get much criticism here, geesh, we rarely get any one driving by, and if they do they are some 350 feet away from where we are working.

The neighbor who owns the horse pasture on the north came to her property a couple weeks back and told me since I have 5 whole acres I should go to the other side to work when she shows up on hers. I think she should send me notice of her arrive time and then ?????????????? NOT

Molly
:^)))

Molly,
I am so jealous. How I would love to get back in the country again. I had to give up my horse when my son was born and had to move back here. I keep dreaming of having another one in a few years when he is through college and I can afford lthe boarding price here or a couple acres back up there. In the meantime, I am living vicariously through you. LOL
Jan...

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi, Molly.

I see by your post that the issue with your neighbour is still not resolved. Pity... Have you considered my suggestion to plant something nasty along the fence line? We were talking about this at the Quarterdeck. Something that wouldn't harm the horses but drive her crazy, such as any bamboo that doesn't clump, or something that stings when you try to pull it out (the horses will stay away from that).

I am in no way suggesting this, but one of my favorite plants from the bad place is heracleum mantegazzianum. Big advantages with one: It grows huge, it's highly invasive and it won't bother the horses.

It has been known to cause 3rd degree burns to human skin that touches the sap and is subsequently exposed to sunlight (not exactly a rare commodity in Florida). I tell you, the plant from H E double hockey sticks.

Don't take me seriously, I'm just blowing off steam.

I've got to be off: the gang is going to the Everglades today. Woo Hoo.

Sylvain.

This message was edited Jan 21, 2006 6:51 AM

Gee Sylvain,
If I ever have a neighbor problem, I know who to call. LOL
Jan...

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Yes, just D-mail me and I'll find one of my giant, perennial, noxious, toxic and highly invasive plant species (my specialty) for you. Botanicals were always used by witches and wizards in the olden days. It seemed to work for them. Let's not allow the art to become lost in the sands of time.

Sylvain.

Well, I do have a neighbor behind me .......................................

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

Molly,

Go to the other side of the lot when she shows up on hers? That's ridiculous!!! I think I'd have something very loud and obnoxious on hand to use along the property line whenever I saw her - a chain saw comes to mind.

I'm actually glad that nobody offers to lend a hand when I'm out in the yard (including DW). My garden is my getaway, and I find a lot of comfort in working on it alone.

Steve

I enjoy the help and companionship when gardening . I just don't like doing it while someone just stands around and watches or yaks. I'd like to find a guy someday that enjoys gardening and wants to share the space with me. I know you're out there somewhere. Come out, come out where ever you are. LOL

Sylvain,

Do onions and leeks count? We planted 4-6 rows up by the fence last week.

I haven't had time to do the legal research on the fence issue yet. I've spent too much time out of town. Maybe Monday I can do some of that.

In the meantime, I just hope she stays away, away from me. This is my home. I spent a lot of time and money to be here and I refuse to let someone ELSE try to dictate my future.

Have a great time today. I know you are having some great weather down there and I will be watching for pictures.

Molly

Does she come on a regular basis. We could all come up and party some weekend when she is expected.

Jan,

I have seen her twice in 3 months, both times she attacked me with verbal animosity. Don't know why she decided to use me as her whipping boy. Her Sig Other is a really nice guy.

A loud bluegrass hillbilly party would really drive her wild. That will come later when I get my grounds acceptable for company.

:^))))

Oh yes, and you are invited!!!

Lake City, FL(Zone 8b)

Wow Molly - sounds like you need a donation of some nice bamboo clumps to shield that side of your property or that could be where you could put you stash of cow or horse manure to sit and age. Let me know when you have the party and me & hubby will come on his old Harley and rattle the pipes abit. :-)

Cool Judy, of course this girl doesn't send me a notice of intent of her visits, but usually on a Sunday.

Maybe she should go to church and learn about "Love Thy Neighbor"

Molly

Oh Molly,
Look on the bright side, Free Manure when she's not around. LOL
You don't need to wait. Make it a garden/landscape weekend party. We can bring sleeping bags.
As long as you have an outhouse, a barbeque grill and a coffee pot, we're all set.
Jan...

PS, Try to find out her phone # and put a "For Sale" sign with the # when she's not around.
Maybe she'll get an offer she can't refuse!!!

Jan,

Let's see, I have a grill, a coffee pot, and the back acre in the woods for doing what bears do.

She already ran off one neighbor, they went back to Miami. No chance of that happening with me. I worked too long and hard to get here.

But she doesn't live there, only grazes her horses there. One day she will get over her mood swings?
Whatever the case, I am a very peaceful person and I am here to stay.

Molly

Well, If she ever decides to sell out, let me know. I would be more than happy to be your neighbor!
Jan...

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

me too! Bouganvillas have great thorns and I know Art can root you some.
Mood swings are most likely the real cause. Menopause is the best thing that ever happened to me. LOL, Just ask DZ, LOL.
Maybe she had an illegal crop in mind?
You can always send Darius to talk her down.

Best wishes.
Sidney

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.