Rangoon Creeper

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi,
I am really hoping that someone can tell me where to find this vine. I would also like to hear from anyone that is growing it. I like the way the flowers go through 3 colors and I have also heard it is fragrant. I am building a slat roof over my outdoor swing this year & I think this may be perfect for it!
So please, let me know any negatives or positives, how big it really gets & how fragrant it is, and if anyone here in California knows of a nursery that sells the plant, please tell me, it would save on s/h if it was close enough to drive to.
I know I have seen discussions on this vine here before, but the search feature is not working. :~(
So any info is appreciated.
Thanks!
Donna

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I grow it here in Texas...in fact I'll post a pic of it here. Looks pretty "ratty" right now...planted this wonderful vine in early July; it bloomed continuously until we had a cold snap in November. Others say it freezes to the ground here but if its really heavily mulched it will come back (note the mulch is about 5 inches deep under it).

It does have the most heavonly fragrance and scents the entire garden for a good 30'. I got mine at a locally owned garden center. They started out in the spring very pricey but I waited awhile and they started marking them down. I grabbed it and haven't regretted a moment of it. You have to train them where you want them to grow and this particular (sad tho it looks now) plant has grown 4 times as big as it was and bloomed profusely and continuously until Thanksgiving.

I would heartily recommend it. Ecolage has them too I think.

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Pensacola, FL(Zone 8a)

I love the vine, I just can't seem to grow one. Last year I found one at Target, it was beautiful, then one of the hurricanes got it.

Robi

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

donna,
i had alot of this vine at my other house. the flowers smell like green apples to me. i love this vine. not alot of pests bothered it. luckily i sold that house to a friend and just planted three small seedling here. from my experience it is a fast grower and grows on woody stems ( so it is easily cut back and kept under control. ) it gives off seeds that resemble anise. these seeds grow pretty easy. i might have some left if you would like to try from seeds.
cassandra

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Cassandra if you have enough seeds to share could this Donna try some to? I've been looking for seeds to buy and can't find any.
:) Donna

Mc Call Creek, MS

Can this plant be grown in a large pot satisfactorily, or does it get too big for that in one season?

Kay

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

mine didn't Kay. Remember I kept trying to root you some. It never grew to much but last year was a really strange year too. The link won't work for me but if that is for the seller. Dogwood@eritter.net he has fabulous plants and great prices. Just placed a huge order with him. I have been buying from him for going on 3 years now. I just e-mail him for what he has available and order directly from him.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I have this vine in a pot in my plant room, it is spreading everywhere but it has not flowered at all yet, it is three years old.

Thumbnail by kareoke
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all your responses. And Donna, thanks for the tip about Dogwood, I checked out his auctions & was WEAK! lol But I felt really confident after your glowing opinion of him. I always prefer to buy from sellers that someone I respect gives an opinion of.
And thank you again Candela for your generosity in sharing with me.
You have all been so helpful to me!
Donna

I can't heap enough praise on this plant if you love fragrance!

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Yes, I really love fragrant vines. I can already imagine sitting in my swing with this growing overhead. :~)
I saw a post from someone saying they have thorns, do you notice that? And also, what does it attract insect wise & what pests should I watch out for?

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

My rangoon creeper does not have thorns and been pests free here where I am...it does attracts butterflys and bees...

Rangoon Creepers do not have thorns. You would be surprised that for such a fragrant plant, it attracts less bees than others I have.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Glad to hear no thorns or pests, but it does seem odd it is not a bee magnet, for as fragrant as I hear it is!

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

So what is wrong with my plant that it does not flower, it is very healthy, and grows fast, but no sign of any flowers. no thorns, and no pests.

It loves heat--doesn't bloom profusely for me until daytime temps are up in the 90's (late May down here). It is native to India. It does attract bees but not like some other plants I have. Mexican heather usually is covered with bees down here but is not very fragrant. A clerondendrum bush I have also attracts alot more bees but is not fragrant.

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

donna and donna
i just sent out both of your rangoon creeper. they do have something that does look like a thorn but is not sharp it is more like a little side branch. it will be interesting to see how they do in comparison from miami, to california, to canada. i hope they arrive in good shape if not i can always sent out more later in the summer.
good luck
cassandra

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you! :~)

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Ooooh.....thank you so much, Cassandra! I will be sending out your goodies on Monday.
:) Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.