Newbie seeking help

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I have been an inside gardener for about a year and a half. Everything I grow is inside. I would love to grow some pretty flowers outside this year but I have no idea of what to do. I would really like to plant most of it in window boxes, big pots, or anything that does not require me to dig up the ground, as I cannot do this since I am disabled. But I really do want to grow some beautiful, colorful flowers. Could someone tell me how to find out information of when to plant, how to plant, etc? Is there some sort of guide that tells you when to plant things? My yard does not have anything in it at all except for a couple of ugly shrubs in the front and none of my neighbors have any flowers or plants in their yards either. I am just sick of plain, dead looking yards and I want to liven it up around here with some colorful flowers and shrubs. What do I need to do? I do not know anything about annuals, perennials, etc. I do not even know what the difference is. I am 100% ignorant when it comes to anything other than growing my cacti and succulents inside. I have over 200 of them. I use lights inside to keep all of my little babies happy. But when it comes to growing anything outside, I know nothing. I do have a couple of favorites that I would love to grow. I love all types of daffodils. The bright yellow ones are my favorites. And I saw something called Lantana when I visited drdon's ranch last year. I'm not sure what kind of plant that is or when to grow it. I am so lost here. Can some of you give me some pointers as to how to get started, when to plant, things like that. I am also going to try a few vegetables using Earthboxes. From what I can tell they are pretty simple and do not require digging, pulling weeds, etc. Last year I missed out on all of this because DH's work told us we were moving. I was so disappointed that we did not move and I could have had some nice flowers outside. Anyway, thank you for all of your help. I hope that this year will be a lot better than last year. Also, I am not sure if this is in the right forum, and if not, feel free to move it. Thank you.

JesseK

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

JesseK, That's a tall order.
Try the "Book Worm" tab above and type in Basic in the search box. Something came up that may help you.
You may also want to order a few free seed catalogs. They are packed with information.
Keep us posted and don't be shy to ask.
Andy P

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi JesseK,

I would agree to get some of the 'technical' information from seed catalogs or beginner books from the library. In general annuals might be a little better in pots than perennials, it would also let you try new plants more often.
Here are some links:
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/
https://www.jungseed.com/jungsite/jungsitebrowse.aspx?category=1888
http://www.burpee.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=4

easy annuals that I have grown for a long time are cosmos, zinnias, marigolds and gloriosa daisies, but that is my preference - look and see what you like,
Al

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Jesse, I'm sending you a dmail. ; )

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

thanks so much cjolene

JesseK

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Jesse, be sure to try some lantana this summer. They thrive in summer heat and do well in containers. Your local county extension agent should be able to offer some advice about planting times in your area. Have fun, Neal.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I was wondering if I could plant the Lantana in containers. I think they are so beautiful. You know how it is when something you see sort of jumps out and grabs you and you just have to have it? Well that is the way it was with the Lantana. So I will make sure to check that out for the future. Thanks a lot.

JesseK

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

JesseK,
I'm guessing by now you have been visiting the different forums, but if you haven't been to Container Gardening, you should check it out. LOTS of the forums use container gardening and give advice on sun vs. shade, types of soil, etc.
Sharon

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Sharon,

I have not been to that forum lately like I used to go. I will add them to my forums list and start visiting them again. I know they will have some great ideas for me. Thanks for the reminder.

JesseK

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Lantana does great in a container. I had it in a hanging basket one summer.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh thanks for telling me that. I had never seen it here in NC and then when I saw it in CA I just fell in love with it.

JesseK

Eastlake, OH(Zone 5a)

Jessek,
I sent you a dmail

Good luck!

Ironsides

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I live in Greensboro and had to adjust my gardening to the area (moved here from New Mexico) and found that Portulaca (Moss Roses) are a very hardy and reliable plant for containers. It's a succulent so that helps during dryspells and flowers constantly. The colors are great too. I've seen lantana practically buried in butterflies when we went to the beach too. I have also been using sweet alyssum more for the past few years, it's a low growing, mat forming annual and has a soft sweet honey like scent. I used to be able to buy them in sixpacks at most nurseries but haven't seen them much in the last few years. They are very easy from seed, right in the pot outside barely covered. I learned alot from some of the seed catalogs so request a few in print. Good luck!

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

If you are interested in growing in containers you might check out the following book:

McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container: A Container Garden of Vegetables, Herbs, Fruits, and Edible Flowers
http://davesgarden.com/gbw/c/235/

This book is available at many libraries so you can check it before buying. A lot of good ideas for you to get started.

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

JesseK -- One more thing --- Have you checked out the Accessible Gardening forum right here on DavesGarden ?

http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/disabled/all/

Looks like a lot of good ideas there....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.