2 New Annuals

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Well they are new to me at least.
In the Parks catalog:
Angelonia angustifolia 'Serena' (page 4).
Phlox drummondii 'Grammy' (page 72).
I've been taken in by pretty pictures before and I can't find either one in the Plant Files so does anyone know about them?
I like to try something new each year and these are under consideration
Andy P.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I can tell you alot about Angelonia--we've been growing it down here in Texas for years--it survives the heat really well. I think ists a rather floppy plant. I doubt up there you have the summers to really make it thrive. It's just that seed has not been available in the past; but let me tell you it roots easier than any plant I've ever seen before. That's how most of us reproduce it. Bedding plants sold as annuals have been available down here commonly for at least 10 yrs.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I like Angelonia--I notice the hybridizers (Ball, especially) are working on them--

several new varieties coming on the market besides Serena include---

Angelface
Angelmist

University of Georgia did some trials and they all rated pretty good scores, including Serena.

http://ugatrial.hort.uga.edu/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=1538

Angelmist bi-color purple/white seems to be the one everyone is wild about. I grew it last summer in containers and liked it a lot.

I think they even have a 'basket' style angelonia now too.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I use Angelonia in my windowboxes every year. I have been growing it here in Connecticut for about 5 yrs.

I will always use it because it blooms all season long, and never has any diseases or problems. It is really about the only plant that I can grow that doesn't have something wrong with it. It is about as close to perfect as a plant can get.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Angelface and Angelmist have been available as plants down here for several years now.

If you get one--it is the easiest plant on the planet to root--I kid you not. I haven't had to buy any in years; I just take cuttings every fall and keep in garage under lights

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Guys, I'm really tempted by this one. I have a hot area at the end of the driveway that may suit it.
No info on the Phlox?
Andy P

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I haven't tried the "Grammy" variety but have tried "Creme Brulee" and they had a pretty decent showing. It was my first time trying Phlox so I'm giving it another try this year since I purchased more at Valueseeds. After seeing the photo for the Grammy pink and white I'll probably order those too:)

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I tried this for the first time last summer and was very happy with it. Unless I've not been paying attention, I think this is the first time I've seen it in this area. I had a six-pack that I planted in front of a dappled willow in full sun. It bloomed all summer long, was self cleaning, and filled a half circle area about 4' by 18" deep. I hope I can find it again locally. They have it for 3.00/plant at Mischel's and I think that's too expensive.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.