Bush Cherries, are they worth the effort ?

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I see the bush cherries in the catalogs. Looks like an easier way to go than a tree.
But like anything else, is that too much to ask ?

Anyone have any experience with these ? I'm trying to look before I leap.

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

I just got 2 of them this fall, and planted them. Like you, it just looks too good to be true, doesn't it? We'll see how they do this year.

I'd love to hear from someone who has had them long enough to know if they produce good tasting cherries.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I saw an old thread from a year or more ago where Horseshoe
was talking about his. Said it had been 4 or 5 yrs since he planted
them and they hadn't done anything yet. He was posting in
responce to someone else who said hers put on beautifully after
4th year. Wonder if his has done anything yet ?
Gurneys catalog says they'll fruit first year. HHmmmmm.

I'll be interested in knowing how yours do hmstyl. What variety
did you get ?

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

In our other house we had Nanking bush cherries. They performed well, but I don't know when they started because they were already there when we moved in. The cherries are small, but juicy and tasty. By the time you factor in the shrub taking less space than a tree and the lovely blossoms, I think they were worth it.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

McGlory, thanks, You might be right. A pretty shrub that has even
a little something edible might be worth it. Thanks for your reply.

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

I am pretty sure I got the Nanking cherries, also. Right now they look like little brown twigs! I think I got them on ebay - at a really low price. We'll just have to wait and see what we get. I will be anxious to see how the rest of you make out this spring!

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

I was the one Peggy was talking about. Mine bear fruit every year. They're a pain to do anything with because the pit is about as big as the fruit, but they do have a good taste. Mine are Nanking purchased from Gurneys, years ago and are quite large bushes now.

Are they better than tree cherries, no... but the birds like them, and the blossoms are gorgeous.

Pictures of the fruit and blossoms here:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/435173/

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

They are beautiful when in bloom. Nice pictures Melissa.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I am thinking of planting a bird garden in 2007, but want to put in some of the "bones" for it this year. If you have a moment, I have some questions - first, if I plant say 3 or 4, will the birds spread the seed far and wide and fill the county with them? I don't want anything invasive. Second, how tall do they grow? And lastly, do they fruit on old or new wood? Thanks so much! TIA Karla

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

This is not invasive here. Or, at least I have never seen another one anywhere other than where I planted it.

Mine are 6 feet tall or so, you could trim the tops to your liking, I would think.

Honestly, my guess would be that they fruit on both old and new wood, with the bigger cherries being on older wood.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Melissa. Maybe I'll stick a few inside of some chickenwire to protect them from the rabbits and see what happens :-) I bet they make nice forcing branches in the spring, too. Is it spring yet!?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.