Got Manure?

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

Looking for manure for my compost pile. I'm in central Pasco, near Zephyrhills, Dade City, Land O Lakes, Lutz, surrounding areas.

I have a pick-up, and I'm willing to shovel. I would also be willing to do a little travelling, if necessary.

Thanks.

Steve

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Steve,

We have been talking manure a lot lately. We have a gazillion horse farms around here but I am told the manure needs to be composted for a while or else it will burn up your plants.

Other than that tidbit, sorry, don't have any, but would like to have some too.

Molly
:^)))

Molly,

I think there's still time to let it "ripen" before Spring planting. Dang, I saw a farmer who put an ad in the Tampa Tribune a few weeks ago and was giving it away, but I didn't keep the ad.

Steve

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Most places that board horses are more than happy to have someone pick it up. Try the yellow pages in your area for boarding stables or just take a drive in the country where there might be horses and stop and ask.
I have several stables within a mile of me that are glad to get rid of it but I usually just buy a truck load mix of manure, shavings & topsoil from a local company for $13. Easier than having to shovel it in and it's already seasoned.
Jan... (Pinellas Park)

Jan,

What's the company's name? Exactly what I've been looking for!

Steve

Larry Larson's on Ulmerton Road in Largo.

Thanks, Jan. I'll give them a call. How long does the stuff take to compost?

What they sell is supposed to be already composted if you get what they call their "potting mix" which is what I referred to above. When I first started using it, I did notice that some of the newer rooted plants and seedlings didn't thrive as well but the older plants did fine. What I did was to buy a whole yard and divide it in half. I leave one half to "age" some more. The other half I cut with plain topsoil. Since it takes me awhile to use 1/2 yard, by the time it is gone the first pile has "aged" some more.
Next time, I buy only 1/2 yard and that one becomes the "aging" pile and I used the first "aged" pile as needed. I just continue to rotate it as needed.
Of course, if you're dealing with older established plants or just want to amend your sand (oops!, I meant Florida dirt), just spread in over the top and mix it in. I am doing that at the moment with a new area I was to start a bed it but is currently sand and rock.
Jan...

Jan,

I picked up a yard of it today. It seems well composted, although there was steam coming out of it when they pulled it out of the pile.

Do you plant directly in it, or do you mix it with other soil?

I'm not going to plant most of my things until the end of February, so it'll have a chance to sit for a while. I borrowed a pick-up, so I thiught I'd take a ride and look for some manure - plenty of horse farms and cattle ranches around here.

How much manure and peat do you suppose there is in it?

Steve

The steam is cause from the heat of the compost in the dirt hitting the cooler air.
I plant mature plants in it but I mix it with regular soil for new rooted cuttings or seedlings unless it has been aging at my house for awhile. Check the post above your last one and you can see the steps I take. Hard to beat the price and save on your back at the same time. LOL

Jan

Makes sense to me. I'll follow your advice, since you've been using it for a while. I'm still going to try to find manure - I'm planting lots of bananas and Cannas, and they're heavy feeders.

Steve

The bananas are heavy feeders but I don't do much special to the cannas and they grow and bloom well. I have a banana fruiting for the first time so I am excited about that.
Jan...

Jan,

What kind of banana are you growing? This will be my first year..

Steve

I have the chiquita type, ice cream banana, a dwarf desert banana and namwah, another desert banana.

Jan,

I have 3 Monzanos, a friend is sending me two Sweet Wiliiam seedlings, and I have 2 ornamental reds, Musa Coccinea.

When I unloaded the potting soil from the truck, it was still steaming, and it was warm to the touch. You're right, it's still composting. I spread a layer 2-3 inches thick, watered it thoroughly, spread another layer on top, watered that, and kept going that way until I spread it all. I'll turn it once a week, and try to get it finished composting by the time I'm ready to start planting, in late Feb. Then I'll go back for another yard, and let it compoist while I'm planting.

Steve

Sounds good Steve.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

While we are on the subject of manure ( I would say, "talking sh**, but some may be offended) LOL, I think I recall from my previous years some time ago when reading "Organic Gardening" magazine, that some manures are better than others? They were ranked (best to less desirable) as sheep/goat, cow, horse, chicken. The preference was for the animals with a double stomach as this destroyed more of the weed seeds (if I recall correctly). I don't know of anyone around here that keeps sheep or goats in herds, but I'm sure they are out there. The chicken manure is the "hottest" with the most nitrogen content and is therefore more likely to burn plants unless used properly. Am I correct in my recollections?

Jeremy

Hey, Jeremy, you really know your s___! Sorry, couldn't resist.

I don't know. I was hoping to bring a farmer in on this. There's plent enough around my area. Hopefully, somebody with experience will join in.

Steve

You can buy processed cow manure at Home Depot if you only need a small amount.

Jan,

Those $4.00 Black Cow (something like that) bags. The problem is, I'm moving my garden this Spring, and have dozens of plants going in, from bananas to annuals. I'd like to make sure the soil has a lot of nutrients, especially for the heavy feeders, like bananas and cannas. That's why I was looking for manure.

Steve

I understand completely. If you don't find anything and want to come to Pinellas Park (couple miles south of Larson's) there is a stable near my house where you can get it. If you come on a Saturday, I can shara a banana and a canna or 2 with you.
Jan...

Jan,

Thanks, that's nice of you. I was actually considering going back to Larson's as planting time approaches, for more potting soil.

If I'm going to get manure, I think I have to do it soon, so that I can let it compost before I use it.

Steve

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

On the subject of cannas, do any of you know where I can find a Pfitzer Shell Pink canna? I've searched all the websites, etc. and it doesn't seem to be found anywhere but in Europe. I'm desperately trying to find one or two to purchase.

http://www.deerproofperennials.com/cannas.htm

This site has a dwarf Pfitzer pink but doesn't say "shell pink"

I had no idea that cannas came in so many colors. They're gorgeous!

Jan, how can I arrange to get some of that manure? Do you have the phone # of the person?

Steve

I don't remember the name of that exact one but here is a list of stables within 1 mile or so or me. I'm sure any one of them would be more than happy to have you take it off their hands.
Jan...

http://yellowpages.superpages.com/listings.jsp?SRC=comwp&C=stable&OO=1&R=N&MC=1&STYPE=S&T=Pinellas+Park&S=FL&Z=&CP=Home+%26+Garden&F=1&RC=1&search=Find+It

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.