Travelers Palm

Longboat Key, FL

Has anybody had any experience with them?

:)

I have a great one - very tall - a little damaged from Wilma's visit but otherwise doing well and FULL of blooms. What specifically do you want to know??

Longboat Key, FL

We're installing a new one. The one we picked and tagged was bloomless. When the palm arrived it was smaller and had blooms -- two big clumps,

The blooms look pretty shaggy, not at all as statuesque. How long do they last?

So I am going to insist on a replacement.

And I was concerned about keeping ties for a while because of the immense spread of the fronds, It's about thirty feet high in the center. And I am happy to hear that Wilma didn't take yours down.

Some of them I have seen have pups (or whatever you call the babies) around the base -- but mine is a single.

Brad, personally I think the singles are the most attractive; I keep cutting back the pups that come up.
We inherited ours when we bought this house and we had five stems, after Wilma we still have four. The huge leaves did take quite a beating and yes, if high winds are an issue in your area I would certainly give it some support.
The blooms last for ages, I would say 2-3 months; they start out as very smooth and green, gradually turn brown and dry and then are filled with the rock-hard seedpods which contain the seeds which are wrapped in a striking bright blue coating!
I love this tree! (picture taken shortly after Wilma)

Thumbnail by
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

HI, FB, whatcha been up to?

I grow my TP in a clump, not a single tree, just leave the sprouts alone and yours will clump too. I think that the blossoms are pretty only a short time and then they start their decline, but they last quite a while on the tree. I have never tried to cut one to bring in the house...tree too tall now.

Mine did not do to well with Wilma, but are coming back. I am thankful for that because they are the sole shade for that part of my garden. These were once solid with leaves....oh, well....they'll be back...

Hap

Thumbnail by Happy_1
Longboat Key, FL

This is the one we picked out at the nursery. (It was inside a chain link fence, and hard to focus on.)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

This is what was installed at our home. It's being removed.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

Happy_1 and FlyboyFl - both your trees are gorgeous but for me there is no contest - if I were starting over I'd stick with the single. So much more dramatic. I have a spotlight on mine at night as well, very pretty!
Happy_1 - I would not bring one of those blooms into the house. For one, they are INCREDIBLY heavy and - well, personally I don't have a vase big enough LOL

Longboat Key, FL

Right.

The single is spectacular.

We're going back to the nursery on Monday, to pick out a new one. This one I will tag.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

You are right, FB, they are special.....however, I use it as shade here.

Lady....you are right...not unless you were Donald Trump....LOL

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

yes, you really don't want to bring the flower inside. they get oozy and alittle stinky and are home to a zillion critters, but i loved mine. we planted it (in the keys) in or around 1995 (it was about 20" tall) and when we moved last year it was just reaching the roof line on the second story. i kept the pups cut back and cleaned the old stuff off the trunk once a year with gloves. carpenter ants love this plant and would bite and hang on when i was removing the old sections.

Oh yes, that is true about the carpenter ants. Some of my other critter experiences with this tree are frogs living in it, and one day when we were pruning around it I leaned my hand on the trunk and NEARLY touched a black racer snake that was hanging out up there........ I don't usually mind the snakes (knowing they are not venomous) unless they STARTLE me and I can tell you this one did LOL

Longboat Key, FL

You guys have convinced me. I will be swapping mine for a tree.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

flyboy, i don't quite understand your complaint with the one that was installed. i think it's beautiful and already very mature to have blooms. you might wait a long time for blooms with a younger tree. if yours has pups around the bottom that i can't see, just cut them. they eventually die out.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Oh, no, FB......you got me wrong......I love mine.

Hap

Longboat Key, FL

Don't get me wrong. At our age we look for instant gratification. We really don't buy "green" bananas.

This palm was planted too high in the ground -- and, in any event, has to be reset. But, in the meantime, it is actually bare-rooted, so its chance for survival is somewhat limited.

Below is what it looks like today.

We returned to the nursery, and could not find a suitable replacement which would give us the privacy we sought.

So, we chose a tree, instead.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I know what you mean, flyboy......I even have stopped planting seeds.....BUY THE PLANT>>>>>>SEE IT NOW!!!

AND, I don't buy any more "slow growing" thngs.....why,....so my grandchildren can see what they look like grown? NAH

See ya.

Hap

Longboat Key, FL

Hap~

RIGHT

Be well

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.