Propagation Mat/Seedling Heat Mat

Canton, PA(Zone 5b)

Greetings!

Newbie here.... I posted this on Tomato Forum & realized it should probably go on this forum instead... yikes! May I beg for mercy for being a newbie? ;o)

Anyway... I need some help. I am planning my first season as a market gardener & want to get tomato/green pepper/flower seeds started early to be ready to sell as plants & early veggies, etc. Is it critical to use some sort of heat mat for best results?

I am looking to buy a propagation mat (59 x22") that includes a rheastat with temperature settings & a temperature probe. What would be a reasonable price to pay for that set up?

Any other tips/information on successful seedling startup such as potting mix ideas, fertilizers (organic), etc would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Sally ;o)

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

Sally, before I went to that size why don't you try the heat mat that is the size of a standard flat approx. 10" by 20". either way I use mine almost year round for cuttings, fern spores, hard to start seeds. mine cost about $ 30.00. www.leevalley.com, the one you describe I found in www.charleysgreenhouse.com for $198 for the mat 22" by 60". the thermostats 1 outlet $89.95 to $139.95, 4 outlet. I've never used a thermostat with my mats. I use a thermometer and raise the flat on racks for desired temp. 75% F. for most things. good luck, hostajim1

Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

I bought 4 flat mat for 69.99 no shipping costs from Growers Solution . com .

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Hosta - how does raising the flat increase temperature? I use a thermostat on the ones that need a specific temp..

~Anita

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I just bought a 2 matter plus thermosat. Haven't used the thermostat, but have had the mat in use since Christmas - I love it!!!!! In fact I saw another in my local garden store and may go pick that one up too~~

Anitabryk2, raising the flat decreases the temp., I was propagating fern spores in clear clamshell containers, in sterile soil, setting them on the surface of the mat was a little too warm about 78% f. raising them brought it down to around 70% . the only problem was what do I do with all these ferns, I have hundreds. hostajim1

Chickory31, that's a great price for mats I'll check it out, thanks, hostajim1

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

if they are hardy in my zone - I'll gladly help you out! :))

~Anita

rosswood, BC

I bought a huge heat mat on ebay a couple yrs back..Seems a greenhouse was selling out so I got this monster for around 150$ US plus shipping..It was 4ft x 2ft..Workt super but lost it in a house fire..Never found another..FYI
Gord in BC

Lilburn, GA

Hi!

What is the web address of Growers Solution? Thank you

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Anna, here it is. http://www.growerssolution.com/

JesseK

Lilburn, GA

Thank you Jesse. I want to order a heating mat. :o)

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

This message was edited May 28, 2010 4:38 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.