Winter Sowing in Cold Frame?????

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I decided to so winter sowing this year for the first time. My husband built me three cold frames and now all my seeds are in them~~Question is should I remove the plastic covers from the seeds or just leave them on??....And WOW on the homemade Earthbox I'm going to make me several of those for porch plantings..TIA Lauri

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Keep the plastic covers on them, but provide small slits for the transpiration, as well as, letting Mother Nature water them for you. As the seeds begin to grow, the slits will be made bigger. Don't forget your drainage holes too!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Do you have the seeds covered individually and then the cold frame cover on? I feel the idea is to let mother nature get her hands all over your seeds while protecting them from washing away in heavy rain or letting the animals feast on them in the cold winter months.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm using milk jugs and I just keep the lids off. I've been checking them, and it seems like that's just right. I can see moisture accumulating at the top of the jugs, yet there's no water laying on the surface. I picked up a couple of the jugs to make sure they were draining (we've had rain today and several other times since I've planted them), and they were definitely draining, so I think maybe it's a good combination. So far. LOL.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Sounds good so far - I know I feel like a mother hen with my containers...

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Thanks everyone. LOL Gads can you tell I'm a little green?? Maybe I should back up a bit and explain. O.K. here goes :o) I started about 20, out in various containers and then the rains came and stayed, some 22 plus inches and even with drain holes and tiny slits on top most of them became mini swamps. So with me being a wee bit upset my DH decided to fix the problem and built me these cold frames to salvage what I could and to keep planting. So I replanted what had drowned and put saran wrap on top of my new ones and plucked them down in the cold frames. I poked holes in the tops and was wondering if I even needed the wrap if they are in the frames...BTW it's raining....again....Lauri

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Lauri - if you think it's not draining well - make either more holes or make the existing ones larger?

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I agree with Anita! Make more drainage holes & even enlarge the ones you have currently.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.