Pawpaw trees

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Does anyone know about growing pawpaw trees? I have searched online about them and some sites say partial shade and others say full sun. Are they male or female or do they just need to cross pollinate (like pecans). I live in zone 8, any comments would be helpful.

Glen Rock, PA

Hi. Each tree has male and female, but they don't open at the same time. They are an understory tree, but can be grown in the open if the moisture is available. When I get home I can send you a link to the U KY site with very good info.

Glen Rock, PA

Hi again. If you google 'paw paw university kentucky', you get the site I used to have a bookmark for. Pete

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I have read before that some people take two trees and plant them in the same hole if space is limited. Could I do that with pawpaws? It seems like one would eventually girdle the other. Just a thought.

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

if you are talking about papaya i have always just gone to the grocery store and bought one then plant the seeds. they have always grown for me like that. i think there is a male and female but i always remember getting fruit. not sure about pecans though.

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

I have planted several paw paws since 2001. They are native to Alabama but the seedlings I bought at that time have been very slow-growing. My advice is to buy a grafted specimen or larger nursery specimen with a good root ball rather than a small seedling. With regards to mail order I've gotten them from Musser, Parks, and Raintree (grafted). Only the Musser and Raintree paw paws are doing well, and (of those) only Raintree offers grafted trees. Last year I found a larger tree at my local nursery (Plant Odyssey, a fantastic place) and it is doing better than all of them. It makes sense that you will be able to get a more mature tree with lots of root ball at a nursery since it would be too expensive to ship.

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

You might try Peterson Pawpaws. He's probably the nations leading expert. Pricey and currently sold out, but he has the finest available.

http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/3858/

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I have already ordered two of them from mailordernatives(their plants usually have good root systems). I don't think I have ever seen one at a local nursery. I don't know of anyone who has ever grown one around here. It's a shame that native plants are not made more availible.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.