Container covers

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi all. I just wanted to let you all know that I went to the Cosmetology Supply store (Sally's) and bought a bag of 30 perm caps with elastic bands around them for $1.59. They are working excellently on my pie pans (both the round and square) as well as the large roaster pan I'm using to start seeds in. And very easy to remove and put back on. They seem to be holding moisture very well.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Great idea! You oughta post this on the "dirt cheap" thread also.

I just love these lil hints to save $ I kinda miss the day when I was totally satisfied to go to HD and get a 6pack of snapdragons.. Life was so much cheaper before DG LOL

I have a hint too.. My son loves those little lunchable packs.. Well, Walmart has a different brand that comes in a plastic tub with a lid.. Each tub will hold 12 to 14 rockwool cubes for seeds just perfect.

Thankz for the great post!

Auburn, MA(Zone 5b)

Great idea! I tried using plastic wrap and elastics at first, but the elastics disinegrated after a few weeks. Those caps sound like just what I was looking for....but didn't know it.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

We got take-out dinner from Kentucky Fried Chicken the
other night and I noticed that it came in a black styrofoam
tray with a clear plastic lid that fits perfect. Also, the plastic
domes that come with pre-made graham cracker pie crusts,
ya get the lid, pie pan, and a pie too. Woo hoo !

Harmony, PA(Zone 5b)

I've been using those clear plastic containers from the bakery section of my grocery store. They come with gourmet cookies in them and when empty ;-) have a hinged top already attached. They're square and just large enough to hold 7 paper pots. Seeds of Change has the little wooden pot-maker. Means I'm also recycling newspaper and saving a few bucks over the peat pots.

Rockford, IL(Zone 5a)

I've been using the container from taco bell for those taco salad. They're great mini-greenhouse for seed starters.

Also, the cap of your laundry liquid can be use as pots. Drill a hole at the bottom for drainage and add soil and seeds or transplant them.

Linda

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh great idea linda!

Harmony, PA(Zone 5b)

Amazing what you come across when you brainstorm! Went galloping downstairs and looked at my liquid detergent bottle. Great idea. I also came across another today. We'll often have vendors come to the office with food trays...today's came on two square plastic trays about 15"x18" with clear plastic domes 4" high that fit ontop. Guess who put sticky notes on them to save the empties for me? Mini-greenhouses...

Rockford, IL(Zone 5a)

Good Job, Tootsie....now you'll have a housefull of them. Let all your co-workers know you want these plastic trays with high domes LOL.

Linda

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

yes, I have bought many new products since I have been addicted to DG. I like the idea of using shower caps and pie tins. I will definately give that a try. This is my first year for growing seeds and I ordered 35% H202 and a heat mat, also messenger, so surely I will have success at something.
I need to start getting more takeouts. I told my DH we need to buy strawberries,because I need the plastic container. It is a mini greenhouse.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.