New Gardener Needs Help!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Hello,

Another member suggested that I post to this forum, but I am not sure if this is the right place. I do not even know what kind of plant this is, but perhaps one of you may recognize it.

This is my first post as a new member, so please be patient. We just bought a house and I am trying to get started in the gardening that I have always wanted. Yesterday, I started to dig up what I assume are a clump of flower bulbs in the backyard in order to move them, so that I can put in raised beds. In the process, I found the root system to be extremely choked by the invasive bamboo from the neighbor's yard. The plants pushed out a massive web of roots for at least 4 feet across the top of the ground, but underneath a plastic sheet covered with lava rocks. When I pulled back the black plastic that covered them, there were hundreds of swollen tuber like things on these roots. They are very plump and healthy looking, so I am not sure what to do with them. Are they viable? Would it be worth the time and effort to salvage them from the hard dry soil and bamboo roots, or are they destined for the trash?

Thank you for any help that you can give.

Thumbnail by lily13
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Lily,
Man what a mess. What are those tubers attached to? I am not familiar with the invasive nature of bamboo, but to me it looks like it might be best to control the bamboo first. I really think it might be best to waste a few flowers than to deal with that mess and maybe help the bamboo some. Just my opinion, the only thing I could relate that to would be quackgrass taking over some flowers - and I would always kill the quack with the flowers and start over.
Al

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

that IS a mess and I don't think like any dahlia roots I've ever seen. I don't know bamboo either but I have heard of its legendary invasiveness. Perhaps you can post that photo to a bamboo forum, if there's one here at Dave's or another site if not.

Good luck!

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

Lily, If it were me I would do as Poochella suggested and pop it on a bamboo site and see what they say.
I would take one of the tubers and put in a pot and see what grew and cover the mess until I could find out one way or another. You sure don't want to start something that could be invasive.
Good luck getting rid of the bamboo as it appears to be the running type and it will break though concrete if left unmanaged. From what I have read you have to bury a retainer 30 inches deep and at least 5 inches above ground to even begin to keep it in check. To kill it , you must use straight concentrated roundup and then it still will pop up and application have to be made several times. If your neighbor has it and it is left to it's own, you have an endless job on your hands.

Good luck with your new house and let us know what you find out. Welcome to the forum!!

Willow

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Lily,
If it were me, I would just kill all of it!
Bamboo is a pain in the neck to get rid of and you may never get rid of it.
I wouldn't save anything I see in that picture.
It doesn't look like dahlia tubers either to me.
Just Round Up it all and keep doing it until it is all gone is my idea.
Carol

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Lily, I didn't welcome you; Welcome~!

Here might be a good place to ask about your mystery mass of roots. Lots of bamboo enthusiasts with plenty of know how there.

I was going to tell you to burn it like I burn my Japanese Knotweed ( similar invasive habits and nearly unstoppable) but not in Texas! Not this time of year.

Come back and visit us any old time. Perhaps we can convince you to become a serious dahlia fan.
Pooch or Annie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.