Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Dahlias: New Gardener Needs Help!, 1 by lily13

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright lily13

Subject: New Gardener Needs Help!

Forum: Dahlias

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of New Gardener Needs Help!
lily13 wrote:
Hello,

Another member suggested that I post to this forum, but I am not sure if this is the right place. I do not even know what kind of plant this is, but perhaps one of you may recognize it.

This is my first post as a new member, so please be patient. We just bought a house and I am trying to get started in the gardening that I have always wanted. Yesterday, I started to dig up what I assume are a clump of flower bulbs in the backyard in order to move them, so that I can put in raised beds. In the process, I found the root system to be extremely choked by the invasive bamboo from the neighbor's yard. The plants pushed out a massive web of roots for at least 4 feet across the top of the ground, but underneath a plastic sheet covered with lava rocks. When I pulled back the black plastic that covered them, there were hundreds of swollen tuber like things on these roots. They are very plump and healthy looking, so I am not sure what to do with them. Are they viable? Would it be worth the time and effort to salvage them from the hard dry soil and bamboo roots, or are they destined for the trash?

Thank you for any help that you can give.