water hyacinth

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Trying to overwinter hyacinth to start a new batch come spring. Have about five small ones in an tub with air stone and water pump with fountain. Adding a little H020 to the water also. Added some fish emulsion and They are still dying out. Has anyone else had any success overwintering them. maybe I need to add a water heater to the mix. Have a light fixture over the tub also with one soft and one warm bulb.

Deer Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

Okay,

This is what my book says.

1. Water hyacinth is not hardy in areas subject to frost. Select young vigorous plantlets for overwintering indoors. Discard old plants.

2. The water hyacinth does not overwinter well in deep water. It prefers to remain in a shallow bowl in a muddy gruel. The bottom of the bowl should be covered with a generous layer of aquatic planting compost into which the plant can root if it desires. Keep in full light at a minimum temperature of 50°F.

Hope this helps....

Ed

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Boy is that different then what I am doing. My water is aquarium clean. LOL
Need more mud, right?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL Ted! Looks like you need some muck!

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Well it is done. Shallow planter with 4 inches of muck (LOL) layered over with 1 inch of water. no heat and fountainl. Will add H020 to keep the water from souring. Thanks and will let you know it it works. Ted

Fort Valley, GA

I leave mine in the pond during the winter and they always come back every year, as a mater of a fact they are still green.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Well mine all died and the ones in the pond also.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.