Climbing Hydrangea - not blooming

Quincy, MA(Zone 6b)

katy -- is that the mother of the lovely climbing hydrangea i snagged from you at the fall swap?

yikers!

i will commence training it to go around & around & around & around & around & around & around & around the fence ... :0)

Bowie, MD(Zone 6b)

I have a climbing hydrangea that I have had for about 5 years with no blooms. However, it was ravaged by Japanese beetles for each of the last 3 years or so. I am thinking that that is the reason for the lack of blooms. I expect this year to have fewer beetles and hope to see blooms. It is otherwise growning and spreading beautifully.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Mine has 3 times as many blooms this year as it has in total over the course of its entire existence here. So it looks as if patience is paying off.

Kingston, NY

so glad i read this mine is 3 years old growing very well but no blooms guess i have to wait another 4 years but it is worth it

South Dennis, NJ(Zone 7b)

Just found this thread. My climbing hydrangea has been in the ground for 6 years, half climbing, half acting like a running ground cover just like yours, Rox. At most, it would have one or two blooms, always near the crown, never along the stems. This year I used Spray-n-Gro for the first time, and I counted nine blooms. It may not sound like alot, but to me it was a great success!

Athens, OH

I might just have to try that.
This year I lost half the new growth due to the late frost. It seems to be recovering now, but I wouldn't be surprised it that delays the blooms some more.
ROX

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.