'Day Neutral' Strawberries

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I've grown the Tristar for years. Every few years I take some young runners and set up a new bed. I think it's time for some fresh stock. I love the Tristars and will probably buy the same again.
I tried the Ozark Beauty and was very dissapointed. Also tried the 'Ever Red' but either they were mis-represented in the catalog or I was sent the wrong plants, they were very good 'June berrers' though.
Day neutrals don't rely on the length of day to set fruit so they produce all Summer.
Has anyone had luck with any other variety besides Tristar?
Andy P

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

This past spring, I planted Ozark Beauty and Cardinal.
This coming spring I should know what they're going to do, as I
picked off all blooms all summer to get plants to establish better.
I hope my Ozark Beauties do better in my zone than they did
in yours.
I'd never heard of Cardinal, but the man at the farm store
told me it was a good one. Since then I've been watching
for it in catalogs but haven't seen it anywhere yet. Anyone ever
heard of it ?

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Peggie,

Henry Field carries Cardinal.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

http://muextension.missouri.edu/explore/agguides/hort/g06135.htm discusses Cardinal but it is a relatively new release from USDA Beltsville and there is not too much info yet. It is normally considered a June Bearer, not an everbearer. Cornell recomends Tribute for New York, which should be similar to your conditions. I have only grown Ozark Beauty and Ogallala. They convinced me to stick to June bearers.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you Farmerdill

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Is there some way Plant Files differentiates the June bearers from the everbearers? I couldn't seem to figure it out.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

The only way currently is in the comment section. Everything else is generic.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.