Earthbox Set-Up (How To)

Chanute, KS(Zone 6a)

i did get the new design. it has holes in the bottom for casters. here is a picture of the inside, one with the screen, and one without. the hole in the top right is where i guess the fill tube goes, and the drain hole is on the side/middle of the box.
i'll wait a few days, and hopefully another box will arive. odd though, because there was plenty of room inside the box i got for five small tubes and some covers. oh well, it's not like i'm planting tomorrow, i still have a few months.

Thumbnail by GreenThumbGreen
Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Yes I see your problem. The fill tube remains the same but you don't have them plus the covers are missing. They owe you ten covers and without them the EBs lose their edge. Try calling them now?

Hialeah, FL(Zone 10b)

I didn't use dolomite or lime for my tomotoes...I didn't have any...anyway I hope it doesn't interfere with my growth...or can I add it later?

I will buy some lime the next time I head to HD or Lowe's.

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi all, I am planning on using boxes from last year. Can I use same soil? Should I remove it and add the lime? Any help appreciated.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Flaks, it won't interfere with the growth...but it helps in various things with tomatoes like helps keep BER (blossom end rot) down, etc. I know I know...some peeps have said that lime has nothing to do with it. But everywhere I read and every nursery says it does help keep BER down. Tplant has a thread somewhere about the advantages to using dolomite lime in the EB.

I bought some and will use it in my EB. I never use it in my ground beds b/c we have tons of natural limestone in our soil here in Austin. But I would suggest using it in your EB. If you have already planted the maters, then it might be too late? Not sure...you could try and put some into the soil without disturbing the roots?

Tplant or Saint (araness) or Foolcontrol may be able to help you more...but from what they've told me..you can use the same soil for two years.

oriole, if you have not planted your maters yet, go ahead and do the dolomite lime thing before you plant them. I'm sure TP or Fool or someone will come along soon and give better info than me.

Michelle

Brookline, MA(Zone 6a)

I also believe in re-using the EB filling. I say "filling" rather than soil because you really don't want to have the box with garden soil. Too heavy, prone to compaction,etc. Soilless mix is hopefully in your box (I use Promix, others on DG have their preference). This year I'll top off my old boxes and rotate the crops but no new filling.

I don't dispose of my mix. All I do is add more each season plus two cups of dolomite lime and two cups of new fertilizer after scooping out the old.

Flaxa --- Dolomite lime can be purchased at Lowes and you can lift your cover sprinkle in one or two cups and scratch it into the soil. Dolomite does not burn.

GreenThumb --- You never told us what happened to your incomplete order. We all buy from the EB people and would like to know as to what we should be aware of? How did you do with your set-up?

Chanute, KS(Zone 6a)

after repeated calls to customer service, two weeks later, I finally recieved the balance of my order, which was the tubes and covers. No apologies, no explaination, no compensation.
Anyway, I'm ready to try them out. I'm a little concerned about what soil to use, the only thing available around here is MG, which has the fertilizer already added. I guess I'll try that, since it's my only choice.
Sorry about not keeping you updated, with all of the negative feedback and earthbox bashing going on around here, i'm half afraid to admit that i'm trying them this year. I'll also be planting in the ground, and also in sand, so i'll compare the three.
I have seedlings growing, and i'm anxious for May to roll around, so I
can start planting.
David

David --- MG mix is OK. I used it this season and my peppers loved them and I'm sure all veggies will. Don't forget the dolomite lime and fertilizer. Follow directions exactly and you will not be disappointed with your results. We'll be glad to help you set-up or whatever.

Hialeah, FL(Zone 10b)

I went to the Lowe's in Sheridan St...near I-75/Movico 24. I bought 6 cu. ft of jungle growth (which is a bargain btw) and Hydrated Lime (couldn't find dolomite...not much of a selection over there).

Going to sprinkle some Hydrated Lime and see what happens.

Hydrated lime will burn!! I would not use it. My Lowes on University and Pines Blvd has dolomite lime stacked next to the hydrated lime for about $3 for a 40lb bag. Take a ride over. D-mail me and I'll be glad to join you for a cup of coffee or so.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

David, sorry about all your problems getting your order completed with EB. Saint and I realized finally that we have the new EBs but didn't pay the higher price. Apparently they were selling the new EBs for the old EB price for about a month. THat happened to be December when my DH bought mine and she bought hers. I'm also using MG soil b/c we do not have any JG or anything good at our Lowes. I'm sure if I go to a nursery I could find something else? Maybe I'll do that....

Flaks, your dolomite wasn't in a box near all the fertilizer and whatnot at Lowes? Hydrated...hmmm...if TP says it burns, I bet it will. That is cool that you and TP live so close! I finally found someone who lives close to me...hornstrider.

I'll be planting a Sungold and a Rutgers in my EB soon!

Michelleb

Hialeah, FL(Zone 10b)

Well, the instructions on the Eb manual does mention Hydrated...but TP is right Hydrated will burn.

If I had transplanted seedlings I would have used the hydrated stuff; but, since I have an two 8" mass of roots and soil in the EB...direct contact would burn.

I'll pass by Home Depot...and check...I was in LOWES just for the Jungle Growth. I passed by the fertilizer isle, mulch isle, and soil isle and no dolomite.

Jungle Growth looks to be a nice soil with no added fertilizer...just small traces of N,P,K. Very nice. For around 9 bucks you get 3 cu. ft as opposed to 2.5 cu ft of MG for 11 bucks.

Hialeah, FL(Zone 10b)

By the way, how many of the bigger plants like 'California Wonder' have you put in one EB in a season?

Four pepper plants is just right but I experimented with potting mix and peppers love MG while tomatos love JG. I compared the peppers side by side. Big difference! When first I went to Lowes I discovered they know little or nothing about their products. They told me they didn't have dolomite then I found it on the organic section for $3 for 5lbs so I bought about five boxes and ended up needing more. Went back and after a relaxing ride, I use the electric carts that they provide for people like me, found the dolometic lime at the end of the fertilizer isle in 40lb bags for $3. They didn't even know they had it.

Hialeah, FL(Zone 10b)

I went to Home Depot at pines and Flamingo...bought 50lbs of Dolomite lime for 4 bucks...man the stuff is cheap. Anyway, I added the lime to the ones that didn't have it. I also took off some Osomocote from the tomatoes that were in MG soil. Osomocote should be fine right...its a 19-6-14...A little high in nitrogen...but I assumed it would fine.

JG feels more light weight and cleaner...I didn't find a nail, sock, or weird stuff I have found in MG.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Flaks, good deal. glad you found the dolomite. TP is right...my peeps at Lowes don't know anything about their products either. Hahaha...well I sure wish they carried JG here in Austin...b/c I did dina a dadgum nail in my MG last week.

TP, sounds like bad storms headed your way...I heard that on Foxnews this morning. We are super greatful for our rain here...but Dallas got it a little too much.

Flaks --- Glad you found it! Can also save you money on fertilizer. Try 10-10-10 for about $6 for a fifty lb bag. Also I went to the paint dept and bought two 5 gal pails w/covers. This way the excess lime and fertilizer stay fresh and I really save money as it goes a long way and is easy to store in containers.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Tplant: Redid my EBs last year with JG, dolomite lime etc.
Ready to roll again - removed the fertilizer strip (10-10-10) added a bit more JG. Do I need more lime? Got plenty.

Yes! I add new lime every year as long as it is dolomite. I'll be posting some pictures of the tomatos I picked today from my EBs in the Tomato forum.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Yipppeeee Tplant is going to post some pictures. Can't wait!!

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Perhaps I missed it but I need to know what kind of stakes to use in the EB. I do have the wire cones but will they work, for some reason I doubt that. I never had EB before, thought I try it

Maria ---- Only rods or heavy sticks will hold your tomato plants. You can stake them a few ways but the most popular way is to use the area at the ends of your EBs that have the plastic ties. Simply insert your supports at an angle and fasten them or do as I do, if not on concrete, by inserting your stick or your green vinyl coated stake from Lowes or Home Depot into the dirt along side the plant. If you have any more questions just call us.

Hudson, NH(Zone 5a)

Hi,
Does the lime just get added to tomatoes? I've got 5 going with no lime for a couple weeks now (10 tomato plants). I'll stop by HD and grab a bag of dolomite lime tomorrow and mix into the surface. Has anyone tried tomatoes with no lime? Any difference?
Dave

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Tplant, thanks this is exactly what I needed to know, also had to get MG, could not find any JG any where now I need to know how much fertilizer one EB needs with MC or does it need any ?

Dave --- Add two cups of dolomite as per their instructions as it adds valuable micro-nutrients. Scratch it into the soil and then wet it down so it soaks in.

Maria --- Use two cups of fertilizer. I use 10-10-10 but if you use organic than use three cups. You did get directions with the box but if not place the fertilizer on the other side of the EB in a narrow straight line and wet lightly to activate, replace cover and that's it. Water as needed.

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Thank you again Tplant, if I understand correctly, even though fertilizer is included in MC, I still need to add more.

Hudson, NH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Tplant. Did you get that 50lb bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer at Home Depot? What brand was it?
Thanks,
Dave

Maria --- Yes, you still have to add fertilizer and lime even though it already has some amounts. However, lime is only used for tomatos.

Dave --- I think I got mine at Lowes but I also shop Home Depot. I prefer Lowes because I am disabled and Home Depots electric carts are in serious disrepair and never available for the disabled, that is in my neck of the woods. Don't recall the brand as I pour the fertilizer into five gallon paint buckets with lids to prevent moisture and spillage. Be a good idea if both of you bought a couple of those pails to store your fertilizer and lime.

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Tplant, thanks for all your great help, for one thing glad to know about using lime for tomatoes only :-)

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Tplant, my three EB are all set for May 15th but I do have one more question in the bag that contains the covers it included black ties and am wondering what they are for did not see anything in the instructions about them. Could have never done this by myself but I do have a great son in law that did all the work :-))

The plastic ties are used to support large sticks. Insert them in the short end of the box at an angle and tie them with the plastic ties. This works for tomatos if you have the space or do as I do and simply insert supports in the ground. I use the green vinyl rods available at Lowes or Home Depot.

Hudson, NH(Zone 5a)

Tplant...The lime HD had was a granular Dolomitic, I'm hoping that is the right stuff. I also found the 50lb 10-10-10 fertilizer, thanks for the tip, not a bad deal for $6.
Dave

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Thanks again, Tplant

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Maria:
I no longer use the wire cones with an EB, but did for a couple of years.
I used them upside down on top of the EB (two/box). Tied to stakes stuck into the ground for support.

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Thanks for telling me, sounds like a good idea. Just had an ad in the mail for their staking system perhaps I will order them. I read on another thread they seem to be tardy shipping things, now I wonder if I will get them in time but living in New England I think I might. :-)

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

The staking system (I think) as the casters work only on the "new and improved earthbox." Checkout the new Earthbox forum - if you can read it.

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Thanks for reminding me, I have no idea if i have the 'new' ones or not though they are new to me, bought them about a month ago

Maria --- The old EBs have a flat bottom!

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Tplant.

Just checked, they are the old ones, thanks, you saved me some money
guees i jusr will get the stakes you suggestee earlier.

Did you have any success getting in touch with EB place?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.