Sunflowers - a question

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I have several sunflowers seeds I am going to plant in the beds next year. Here is the deal, most of my annuals are marigolds, zinnias, and cosmos. I sow my zinnias and cosmos right in the beds but I start the marigolds in the house. I am going to add several of the new sunflowers to the mix this year, can I start these in the house in pots or do I start these in the soil for the best results?

Thanks

Mitch

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Mitch--I've done it both ways with about equal results. Sometimes I tend to put those started in flats out a little too early in the spring.
Debbie

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Mitch,
Sunflowers started in containers seem to not grow as straight as ones seeded in the ground. Just my observation, although I had one with a big bend in it do well.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I need the strait for shade... might have to plant them out and cross my fingers!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Does anyone have advice about a good type of dwarf sunflowers? They are the favorite of one of my daughters, but I can't allocate 12' vertically to sunflowers.
Thanks. xxxx, Carrie

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

Carrie,
I think the Big Smile is a short one. I bought seed called Little Dorit I believe it was called and it made a nice short sunflower with a big head. It was from Thompson and Morgan co. It was identical to the tall ones but only about two feet tall or less.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Sunspot's pretty. I got that at Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, w/ good germination and growth. We used three different heights of sunflowers for our sunflower house (for the kids) and it worked well.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

My Lemon Queen Sunflowers started in the house were all bendy. Then they were also attacked by these really beautiful yellow flies that turned out to be sunflower borers. Am I the only person alive who can't grow these plants?!!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I think's it you, just kidding we all have are nemesis and sometimes trying to hard is part of it.I'm going smaller this year with"honey bear"

These got to 14'
http://davesgarden.com/journal/d/i/9077/

Here's my biggie from last year.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

Big city Al, I'm impressed with that sunflower!

I, too, have started sunflowers indoors as well as sown them outdoors after last frost. I have not noticed a difference in stem strength or straightness, but it might be because I use an ARTIFICIAL BREEZE technique for my indoor starts. If you start them indoors, as soon as they have true leaves, use a small fan or cool hair dryer for a while every day to expose them to a light artificial "wind". This will stimulate the plant to grow a stronger stem. Naturally, you might have to watch moisture level closer if you do this.

I just run my hands over the seedlings once or twice whenever I'm in the grow room.

But as for the initial question: the flowers in this sunflower house (shown two weeks before flowering, at which point a small tornado mowed them down) were direct seeded, along with scarlet runner beans, lots of cosmos, marigold, dahlia and zinnia. All bloomed very well (despite the storm).

Thumbnail by Zeppy

And after the storm...

Thumbnail by Zeppy
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Missgarney- What a great idea! Boy, I have learned so much from DG. You should post this idea all over DG!

Zeppy that is a great Sunflower fort! I want to do a tent with Hyacinth Bean this year for my daughter. Maybe I will attach a sunflower house to the side. When did you sow them? Maybe I can translate to my northern garden.

This message was edited Jan 25, 2006 11:37 AM

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Bigcity, what kind of sunflower is that awesome giant? My girls would loooove that, and I'd like to order some if you remember the name. I've gotten several varieties already, but nothing that gi-normous.

Thanks a bunch.

Megan

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Megan,
They were Russian Mammoth, quite common I believe. Sunflowers for me seem to like drier/poorer soils. For anything large they will need support against high winds otherwise they get blown down.
Al

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Okay thanks Al, because it's the first year we are going to try growing them, so I appreciate the extra growing feedback.

Megan

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

No problem, they really are one of those plants you should have in a garden every year. Kids love them - they are a more recognizable plant for them. That is one of the great benefits of annuals is that you can try new varieties every year!
Al

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I start my Sunflowers in Styrofoam cups outside on a table inside a cage made of chickenwire, otherwise, the squirrels will dig out all your cups. When I'm ready to transplant, I water them well then tear off the cup. Last year I actually grew some in a container and they did astonishingly well!

I'll pass along a tip as well for harvesting seeds. After getting blisters, I picked up my cats shedding brush, those metal serrated hoops, and dragged it across and they came right out.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

X -- fun to see your sunflowers in the container! Think I will try that too!

Really cute pics of the sunflowers with the little girls, too. Darling!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.