Wilhite watermelon form

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

When ordering watermelon seeds from them, you have to sign a form basically saying that you won't hold them responsible if your melons have bacterial fruit blotch. They are the only co I know of that requires this to purchase their seeds. I was going to order from them but I am a bit concerned. Does this mean their seeds carry this disease, that they have had complaints?

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Don't worry about this. Some other companies require this especially for orders beyond the home gardener level. Willhite majors in melons and a higher percentage of their customers are melon growers. I have signed the paper for the last 7 years.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks indy!
They have melons that no one else has and their prices are very good so I was wanting to order from them.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

berrygirl,

Once again, the paper is Standard Operating Procedure for the watermelon industry. Most garden catalogs don't require signing the paper unless you order 1000 seeds or more.

I just love Willhite's Raspa watermelon. Also Rojo Grande is sooo good tasting.

In orange and gold watermelons... Orandeglo, Tendergold, Gold Strike, and Yellow Doll are so delicious.

I also like Sangria and Tiger Baby reds from Twilley's Seed. and Royal Star from Stokes.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

THANKS! I already placed an order and can't wait to grow them.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Willhite is a very good company--I love them!

can someone tell me about this bacterial fruit blotch on melons? i am going to plant some watermelons . Can anyone give me some helpful hints on the best way to grow them.I grew some last yr and went pretty well but our dry summer did'nt help produce alot so i just tilled them under at the end of the season.I will have better watering system this yr. Hubby said to get some soaker hoses.?? Hopeing to get he melon book from Seed Savers Excange from hubby on mom day.to learn more , when should i start. with the seeds

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Watermelons only need three things, Sandy soil, heat, and space. They are not heavy feeders and are the most drought resistant crop I grow, I plant full size melons on 10 foot spacing with 20 feet between rows, Use about 300 lb /acre of 10-10-10 with trace elements.They must have a well drained friable soil. You will have many more problems from too much water than not enough.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

taynors,

I would not worry too much about watermelon fruit blotch. You are far more likely to have fusarium fungal disease or mature vine decline up here in the north. Foliar diseases are worse in the south.

I did not do well with watermelons until I started them early, added sand and/or peaty compost materials...making a deeper, looser, and richer bed for the roots.

I start seedlings indoors about April 20.

ok that sounds great . so when you say a sandy soil , add real sand ?and peaty compost? mine is mostly kitchen , leaves llama poop and some soil from the garden to help with layers.
I have heard of making hills any truth to that.? I think i will keep with my Black Mountaintail i wouid like to try the Orangelo, i will do babysteps.
thanks Farmerdill and Indy
taynors

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

If your soil is a little heavy, actually if it's not mostly sand, hills help. I actually list. In the old days we ran a list by throwing six furrows together with a two horse plow. Today I use a 48 inch disk tiller to make a flat list about 4 feet wide and 4 -6 inches high. This gives the melon roots a looser soil and helps with drainage as the ditch (plow furrow) on either side of the list helps drain off a heavy rain. If water stands on thier roots for 8 -12 hours, the plants will stunt or die.This pic shows the seedlings at first cultivation.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes, with my non-sandy soil, I added sand to make it about 40% sand down about 8 inches and more....real sand....fine screened gravel pit sand or masonary sand. Also I forgot to add........well rotted manure.....and I fertilize some also.

I have raised hills and raised beds for the melons. I remove all residue in the fall and use Root Shield to control soil fungal diseases as I plant in the same area again.

Up here it is helpful to use a bit of plastic mulch. By bit I mean ,...say a 3 for 4 foot sqare around the plant. I like IRT 100 best.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

This one with ripening melons.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.