Which seeds need to be chilled?

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Is there a chart or website anywhere that lists which seeds benefit from refrigeration? Thanks
Sharon

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Hi Sharon,

I found a few sites last week with stratification information. Check out my links list: http://members.shaw.ca/magnolia/links/propagation.htm
There's a link with annual, perennial, etc. What did you have in mind?

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

That information is very helpful. Thank you. I have seen posts here and there that various seeds benefit from being refrigerated. I lost all control this year because DH and a friend built me a greenhouse, and the number of seeds is fairly overwhelming. I have been going through and trying to organize planting times, and figuring out which seeds need what conditions. As far as the types of seeds there's a little (no, lots) of everything: annuals, perennials, vegetables, herbs, and even a few trees. Anyway, trying to get organized, which would probably cause you know where to freeze!
Sharon

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

If you get stuck on some seed, just Dmail me and I'll look it up in one of my propagation books.

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks so much. I will surely do that!!

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Check this one out it's one I use allot . http://tomclothier.hort.net/

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Mystic,
Great site also - have it bookmarked. Thanks!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

That is a good link! Thanks.

somewhere, PA

My favorite germination database is:
http://www.onrockgarden.com/guide/seedguide.htm

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

Tammy, that is a great germination database. Thanks a lot for posting it!

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Tammy,
That's a great site! Thanks.
Sharon

Lafayette, TN(Zone 6b)

thanks for the info everybody, I'm new to seed planting and I need all the info I can get. Don't know why I started out buying so many seeds I think I had a senior moment........ anyway thanks lol

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

CRS - I did the same thing ... that's why I needed the info. LOL!!

Portugal Cove-St. Ph, NL(Zone 5a)

try http://www.jelitto.com and click on English in the upper left hand corner....... find your way to plant stuff........ They have a code for various methods of germinating seeds, or a combination of codes. I rely on an old Thompson&Morgan booklet (tabular form) for germinating annuals/perennials with a second table for trees - I haven't heard if it's been updated/republished (I keep hoping). As with photography, books near 'wet work' is a no-no, so I get my instructions written on the package or memorized before I get into the mud; ditto for plastic labels. I usually wear non-latex gloves when I'm at it too. I had 75 pks of seed last season...... too many to manage....... keep in one's head. My dahlia seedlings obviate having so many this season a/c garden space.

Bill in Portugal Cove-St. Philip's, NL, Canada zone 5a

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Here is another good one I've been using:

http://www.backyardgardener.com/tm.html

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

All these sites are so great. I can just see myself staying up all night comparing info like some crazed scientist! Thanks so much

Lafayette, TN(Zone 6b)

OHHHHH I'm so confused. I'm trying my hand at seed sowing for the 1st time. I have my seeds and have read sites that say do this or do that and also one that says all she does is sow the seeds in mini greenhouses set them outside to adjust to winter and that's all she does. Following is a quote from that website:

"Winter Sowing is done outdoors during Winter using mini-greenhouses made from recyclables; there are no heating devices, no energy-wasting light set-ups or expensive seed starting devices. " hyperlink [www.wintersown.org]

This certainly seems like the best way to do it, but I'm concerned about some seeds need warmth and some cold (from other sites).

I'm confused - can someone help. Stupid me has more seeds than a seed company to plant and now I don't know what to do with them.

I live in zone 6b no matter which method I use, when do I plant them? Thanks in advance to you experienced guru's. I'm certainly not one at this point.

This message was edited Jan 6, 2006 12:00 PM

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Many times what I will do is look at how long it takes for something to bloom. Things that will bloom quickly can be sown right in the ground. Some things will need a cold treatment, sometimes just 3-6 weeks, sometimes a month or three and some need a cold, then a warm then a cold. If you are really new and overwhelmed, you might want to look each up and seperate them first by if they need cold or not, then by how long they take to bloom. You will want to start the ones that need the longest first and work your way back. If you are using larger containers, try to put ones with like conditions in the same ones.

Most importantly, don't let yourself get frustrated. You don't have to start it all at once. You don't even have to start them all this year! Have fun. :)

Portugal Cove-St. Ph, NL(Zone 5a)

Pls list the plants for which you have seeds in this forum - I will try to help. Perennials I have found are more difficult........ and take longer. I leave notes for myself on my computer list, and more on the seed packages, and then a note on the kitchen calendar for the next date ...... for action. I have a 4'x8' plywood bench overhung with 3 light fixtures on chains; each light fixture contains 4 four ft tubes; also, I have a vertical affair........ made of 4 2"x4"x7's at the corners, with right angle brackets screwed to each post and the underneath of 2' x 4' piece of 3/4 plywood...... Fluorescent fixtures are hung underneath each piece of plywood on wood strips ... hooks with chains... to light the 'shelf' below. Ballasts for fluoresents are attached at end of 'stand'.......... I attached a couple of cross members for stability but could have done without - they can get i the way. My main bench is connected to a timer which works in the a.m. but doesn't in the p.m. - needs an adjustment re shut off. I have used heating cables but they chew up juice/money!

Bill in Portugal Cove-St. Philip's, Newfoundland zone 5a

somewhere, PA

I make notes for every seed I start. I write down when I sowed it & the treatment recommended.
If I'm not familiar with it, I write down characteristics that would be useful when I plant them out.. I also put
the date on the marker in the pot. If its got W/C/W or some such regimen, I keep a calendar handy
and write down the instructions in my notebook & put the dates on the label. For example if they
start warm for 6wks then cold for another 6wks and back to warm, I put on the label C: 2/15/06
W: 4/1/06 since I know I'm putting them warm first (1/1/06 for my example), no need to write it down.
That way I check the pot labels once a week and don't have to be overly worried about cross referencing
back to my notes. All I need is on that pot label. (The labels need to be BIG for complicated plants). Then
when they germinate, I make a note of this too. If they don't germinate, you know you might try a different
regimen next time.

One other tip on keeping track is to use an eraser board with dates & seed types on the refridgerator.
Then you just have to look at the list on the door to see if anything is ready to go from cold to warm.
(Saves rooting around in there). And yes... I actually bought a small cheapo fridge for seeds & bulbs.
Comes in handy for food too LOL

I've found it helpful to review these notes from prior years seed started

Also - if you are not sure about germination, you can split 'em into two pots. One for warm start and
one for cold start. I make a note of which is which (labelled 1 or 2) and procedurer used.

Don't be overwhelmed though. Life wants to continue and most seeds are not that hard. As offered
already, post anything you are not sure about and I'm sure you'll get advice quickly here!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.