Sand...lots of Sand!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Hub's had me go get some sand to work on hearth for woodburning stove. I got 1/2 truck load and he used about a wheelbarrowful...Ack! Now I have all this sand. Not nice gritty sand I could use for cactus and such but fine masonary sand. Can I use it mixed with peat moss for propagating shrubs and stuff?

Peggy

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I believe you would mix such sand with perilite, because a mixture of builders sand, water and soft material such as peat moss equals concrete.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Oh-oh-oh! Thanks Kay....I totaly forgot I have the 3 elements to make hypertufa containers. I thinking Garden Club project come spring...LOL. Thanks for jogging my memory.

PP

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I thought you had to has portland cement to make hypertufa.
I don't think just sand, peat & water will make concrete but I could be mistaken. I know I use sand and perlite all the time to root cuttings with no problem.
Jan...

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I mix sand and peat all the time, you have to add portland cement to make concrete(or hypertufa)

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

Make sure you cover it . Cats think it is an outhouse .
My house is a track home . Crushed rock everywhere . I hammer a picse of rebar into ground , wiggle back and forth pull out and dump sand into the hole . better drainage .
I also spread on top of ground in grass and planting areas.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Jan,
I failed to mention the two bags of portland cement,hub's just brought home to build hearth for woodburning stove. Think he'll miss'em*G*

PP

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Peggy, Ya need a new hobby (addiction) .

Fine sand is perfect in recipes for making Garden art like Garden spheres ,fake rocks or pots, etc.

Join our madness won't ya ?

http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/hypertufa/all/

Harhahaha

Hugs, Shirley

ps, fine sand is a no no for planting. No space between the grains so it sets up like concrete.

EDITED .... forgot to add the link ;-(

This message was edited Dec 27, 2005 4:43 PM

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I didn't mean 'concrete' literally - I was trying to say that that mixture will pack down AS HARD AS concrete.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

tony,
yeah,there's 5 cats(neighbors not mine...I don' do cats) that use my flowerbeds for sani-cans so I've got that sand wrapped up better than an egyptian mummy.

scoot,
lead me not unto temptation for I can darn well find it myself....LOL
I did a quick check on the hypertufa forum and saw the wonderful "leaves" a garden club did so I'm thinking I can get my garden club outside come spring to get"down and dirty"too.

Kay,
I can understand the concrete soil. Made plenty of soil mixing mistakes in the past.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

LOL @/Peggy ''''lead me not unto temptation for I can darn well find it myself....''''

Hahahahaha , I gotta remember that one.

Have a Happy and Prosperous New Year

Great expectations...........

Thumbnail by scooterbug
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Aaaawwww,who's the cute little furbaby? Trying to fill a mighty big collar there. Too cute.I love puppies. Have 4 boston terriers but the youngest have just turned two.

PP

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.