Tree- shaped coleus

Ha, Hap, nothing there! Tell me some search words. Not coleus nor coleus tall. How's your nose?!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I have been told I have a very tiny, cute, button nose. Thank you very much. hehe.

Try looking on page 129 under "Tallest Plants" in the 2007 edition of Guinness World Book of Records; Nancy Lee Spilove
OR
on page 85 in the book by our own Ray Rogers called, "Coleus: Rainbow Foliage for Containers and Gardens." That has the whole story.

It's really true and it was a fun event in my life. I beat out the last record which was 4' something. Heck, that's a normal size for my beauties.

Hap

OK! I had a rather boring coleus that just got bigger and bigger, shoulder height before I "lost" it because I had to move. It was a really huge plant, as I hadn't pinched or pruned at all. But it was a bland green with bland brownish blotches. So sorry it didn't have interesting colors, shape or design!

Maybe I'll try something here...hmm...

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

wow ,just found this.
Happy - tom-tom,
do you tree coleus with any particular variety

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Mine just grew and grew. It was a cutting that a friend gave me so it a NOID.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Bump

I have a Kingswood Karnival that's looking like a little Redwood, the way it's shooting up. The main stem is the biggest of any coleus I have so far.

And today I saw a ragweed that was so huge I had to stop the car to look at it! Maybe I'll put a coleus cutting there. The ragweed's stem was still bigger than my thumb at five feet tall, whew.

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I am having difficulty finding unusual coleus seeds. Any suggestions.

TomTom,
do you begin with coleus seeds or coleus plants

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Fantastic

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I bought from Hazzards for the first time this year... not that I need instructions for the coleus but I had to look up sowing directions for some others that I bought... they instead have bible quotes on the packs.. but seem very nice

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

GROAAAAAAN

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

annoyed me that I had to look up instructions ... but I would buy from them again

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The god stuff isnt necessary on a seedpak back. Instructions are.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I agree

Danville, IN

plantsforpeg: I think it's difficult to find really unusual coleus from seed. Most of the outstanding varieties are from cuttings. One of the characteristics of "outstanding" in my book is that the coleus do NOT flower readily, blooming very late in the season if at all, which makes them excellent in the garden, but lousy for getting seed! Of the over thirty varieties I planted from cuttings last year (Gephart's and Rosy Dawn cuttings), only two had any bloom by September, and they were only a few spikes on each plant. Seed is cheaper, but if you can overwinter cuttings from plants, they are certainly worth the effort!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I love overwintering cuttings. I believe I am weeks ahead when I plant in late May.
Nights are too cold for coleus until then.

Thumbnail by ge1836
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Tomtom - how are you? We're seeing all kinds of horrible destruction in Japan on the news. Thinking of you,

Arlene

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Arlene and ge... I too hope that TomTom is OK!

Prayers coming for all.

Hap

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I second that

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the information all. I would love to try the coleus tree.

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hi all,

I deeply appreciate your concern.
My family and I live quite far away from the epicenter.
Still I feel so sad every day when I think of those who are suffering
from the disaster.
Thank so much again.

Tomtom

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for a response. We are all concerned for your countrymen/women.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks for writing, Tomtom. Glad to know you're safe and we all feel for the people in your country.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

TomTom,

You are truly blessed.

Hap

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

TomTom, I have been thinking of you (and the seeds you sent me) and hoping for news like this about you and your family. The tragedy is unbearable.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Great work here TomTom... the projects and applications you've posted over the years have always been insprational... and a joy for all...
over in containers there was concern for you.. so we were happily directed here to find you ...
we all share the sadness... of the great human physcal and emotional suffering ...
A friends son.. working there.. recently returned from his safe and unaffected area of Japan... for a vist of a few days with his mother here.. he said he and the local folks there... had an almost guilty feeling being so passed over by the immediate disaster.... where so many were so compleately distroyed.. I'm sure everyone would have taken a bit of the pain if it would have lessened the impact of those so heavily burdened.. All the best...

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

'Survivor guilt' is common in tragedies and wars. (Ask a veteran.)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.