Tree- shaped coleus

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hi, coleus lovers!
This summer ,I had a pleasant experience shaping a coleus like a tree.
Is there any body who did like this ?

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Tomtom, what a lovely surprise to see you posting! The pictures you have shared with us in the past are in my archives of FAVORITES! Of course we are all Coleus lovers here, and your tree shaped Coleus is a real treat. As usual, the request is for MORE pictures!
Pati

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Beautiful. It could be used as a Christmas tree if it had tiny lights in it. Thanks for sharing the photo.

Susan

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Tomtom,
You have given me something to aim for.
Sidney

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

This is one of many I have grown as bonsai.

Al

Thumbnail by tapla
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Al,

How do you have "many" as bonsai? Doesn't each bonsai need a certain amount of space around it to admire properly it? (Wonders if he has an enormous house...)

And Tomtom, what a great idea! Was it difficult?

xxxx, Carrie

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

WOW, these are really something.

Al, how old it that one?

Hap

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Carrie - The life of a bonsai is not always spent in perfect form. The plant must be allowed to grow freely to gain strength, and then be pruned back. Roots must also be pruned so the plant can remain in a small container. After the pruning, the plant needs a period of recovery. Vigorous bonsai, like Coleus, are probably at their best two or three times per year. Other bonsai may only be in peak form once per year or even every other year, and then only for a few weeks. I have many plants in a large growing area in the basement under lights that are in various stages of development as bonsai - maybe 75 or so. Though most are tropical or sub-tropical trees and shrubs, think there are 4 Coleus in the mix right now. I often give these away to get people interested in bonsai.

Happy - I think the plant in the picture is being over-wintered for the 3rd or 4th year.

Tomtom - I read your post on another forum (papercrete) with great interest. I wish I understood the process more fully. It would be a very interesting subject/project for a bonsai club workshop. I'll continue to follow it. Thank you for posting it.

Al

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks Al.

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hi,Pati,
Thank you so much for housing my pictures in your archives. I attempted to shape
four coleuses like a tree this summer.
Only two were successful. They needed constant care.
Take a look at the other one,will do?
---------***----------***-----------
Yes ,Susan, splendid idea to use it a Chrismas tree! You've only got to place it in the room earlier.
Thank you, Sidney. Just have a try, I insist.

Al.Nobody else has ever thought of growing coleus as BONSAI !!
I'm sure I'll try.
I'm also grateful to you for having a look at my Papercrete containers.

Carrie, I'd say it was no easy job since it was my first trial.
You know coleus grows so fast and gets out style easily.
It was pleasant and worth doing it, though.

Tomtom

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

The Tree- shaped coleus was displayed like this.
You can see their leaves are smaller than those of ordinary coleus.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

These mop shaped Coleuses were made by a friend of mine.
I love them too.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Those are called Standards. You probably have seen this done with roses. They are too beautiful

Hap

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

tomtom, the tree and mop shaped coleus are beautiful!

belinda

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Al, thanks for your answer - I truly had no idea! My goodness! Here I was puzzling over bonsai and wondering why they cost so much, because the bonsai sites I've looked at have had a very welcoming [to beginners] approach. "Sure you can do it, ANYONE can do it, you can do it with dandelions, you can do it with ANY plant!" I truly appreciate the information. Everything makes much more sense now.

xxxx, Carrie

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

That is soooo cool, TomTom! Glad to see you posting your neat collections.

Al your bonsai coleus is neat! I've been wanting to get into bonsai but been chicken.

:) Donna

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hap et al.

Happy new year to you all!
-----------------------------------
Hap,
Thank you so much for letting me know what they're usually called.

----------------------------------
belinda,
I'm highly flattered.
---------------------------------
Donna,
Long time no see :)
Thanks a lot for having a look at hte pics.

Tomtom

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

What follows are the step-by-step pictures of making tree-shaped coleus.
I'll be happy if they're of some use.
1DPlant young coleus.
2DTops of the unwanted shoots are nipped off. Place a prop the length of your propective tree coleus in the pot.Every time shoots overgrow, nip them off and grow the plant according to your image.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

‚RDTransplant them since the pots are getting too small.
‚SDSince the foot gets vacant, you may embede the cuttins there.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

‚TDPull the props out if you find them unsuited.
‚U. It's biginning to turn and tree coleus is nearly completed.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Happy New Year to you to Tomtom!! Thank you for the step by step pictures. Can't wait to try it out this Spring.
:) Donna

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

tomtom - thanks for the instructions. i'm going to try this in the spring. happy new year to you! belinda

Thanks Tomtom and Happy New Year.

Just wanted to bump up this one and add that I think the instructions here are good too. About the same as Tomtom's. Ihttp://www.gardengatemagazine.com/extras/51coleusstandarda.php
I have ordered 2 Japanese Giants to do standards out of. I'm also planting a sphere with coleus after tomtom's inspiration.
Sidney

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

TomTom, your creativity, photos, and instructions are inspiring! I hope to make the containers per your instructions and perhaps use them for coleus art as you and Al have done. Al, the bonsai is striking. Thank you, both. Laura

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

TomTom and Al, you both are an inspirationg with your creativity. I think both of you have more patience than I do. I do have several bonsai and have lost quite a few over the years..

Thanks to both of you for your photos and instructions.

DonnaS

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

bump

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

ooooh,

thanks for bumping this thread! i saw it a while back and couldn't find it. another coleus project....

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Well shoot Sidney, your link doesn't work. What are Japanese Giants? I want to do this too. LOL. TomTom always has such delightful displays to enjoy.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Kell, Rosy Dawn has Japanese Giants. I'm waiting for mine to come when the weather gets warmer. Tamara

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

So of course I am rushing off to look at Rosy Dawn. LOL

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh Kell! Don't look......you're doomed if you look! LOL

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Ain't that the truth!! LOL

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

If I could, I'd get one of everything!!! *drool, drool* ;-) Tamara

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Great thread. Thanks to all who bumped it and to Tom Tom and Al - great work - truly inspiring.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Bump

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

yes thank you!!!

Hahaha, to Carrie that said any plant can be bonsaied, I wanna bonsai a coconut tree!

For Coleus, maybe a tube so the plant would strain upward toward the light, then when tall enough, allowed to spread. For a spreading, small leaved Coleus? Like Inky Toes?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I got one to grow to 8' 4". Check the Guinness World Book of Records. Anything is possible.

Hap

Oh, come on, which Coleus? A Japanese Giant? I don't have the book!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.