Easy way to peel Castor Bean Seeds

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

In the past, I have struggled and filled my fingers with those priclkly stickers on the hulls of Castor beans. Today I have discovered a neat way to do them. If you let them dry long enough, they simply pop open! I have had some drying on a tray for about a month - I have discoverd that the hulls are flying onto the floor! Not good for bare feet tho, Lol. I need to put them in a container with a lid til I get around to opening them all. I think this time I will put them in a bag, or between 2 pieces of cardboard and simply pound them or roll something over them, rolling pin?

How do you get these buggers open without getting stickers in your fingers??

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

You need to put holes in the lid or bag for air circulation or they will mold and rot.
Personally, I use a pliers to gently crack them open.
Jan...

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, I know to not keep them airtight, they are really dry tho - never thought of using pliers - great idea.

Eureka, CA

Hi there.... interested in sharing some seeds, either for SASE or a trade?? I ordered a bunch of seeds from a place (I won't tell you how much I spent..... ) and ordered specifically for the castor bean. And guess what!! They didn't have that one..... Let me know if you are interested. I have a variety of seeds to trade, or can do postage. Thanks!!

Sanna

If Azalea doesn't have any, I have plenty of the red castor bean seeds for a SASBE.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I have some and sent mail to Sannajane. Either way - trade or postage.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi folks!

Just wanted to chime in about the castor beans. I can't imagine harvesting them
without leather gloves on, especially here in the hot weather of Northeastern Oklahoma.

True, they will pop out of their shells by themselves, but many of those buggers want to
stay put. When and only when they are completely dry, I store them in a plastic bin drawer that
slides shut but still allows air to flow. Indeed they will mold and be worthless if you
put a lid on moist seeds in the pods.

BEWARE, though. In the past I have allowed them to dry in my office, which is surrounded by glass,
so the warmth and sunshine in here is out of this world, creating a perfect environment for seed popping.
I almost ruined an expensive printer because unbeknownst to me, two seeds had burst across the
room and lodged into my printer.
Hours of frustration later, we realized what had happened. Also a concern for those with pets and
small children. Be prepared. Even a brown paper bag will contain them, but
you must be careful to allow air in, shake them up each day, etc.

After the seed pods have dried, the little thorns on them will get even sharper and
stronger, so using leather gloves, simply rub your hands together with a handful of the pods
between your hands. Don't squish them too hard, a little friction is all it will take to remove the
spines. When you are finished, simply dump all of them into a strainer and shake the
little spines out.

If they refuse to burst open and you are left with a tightly closed seed with the shell on it, you
can simply hold a strong piece of something, I use a little kitchen knife to pry the little hinges
up, then the rest of the seed shell will pop open and you can remove the seed.

I'll try to show you in this photo what I am talking about.

Basically, you hold the pod in your left hand, then use your right hand to place the blade
behind the little pointy bump, using your right thumb as a backstop. These instructions
assume you have thumbs. Using a little force, pull or lean the blade back against the bump
towards yourself, and the little pointy bump
will release, splitting in two. You can now easily open the pod.

Excuse all the fancy schmancy technical terms, ha ha!

Thumbnail by WUVIE
Dowagiac, MI

I use an inexpensive nut cracker and just give them a very gently squeeze. Tried with a good one, and there was too much force and damaged the seeds.
I've had mine in since October and the buggers still won't let loose.
blpender

Crozet, VA

I think that my bulb and seed purchasing is done for now except for.......the castor bean. Does anyone have an abundance that they want to share? I would love to have a couple of the plants. My mother had a bed of them many years ago and I would love to have that reminder of her. Thank you in advance if you can help me out.

Dowagiac, MI

I have more than enough to share. I'd be happy to give you some.
blpender

I have tons of red castor beans. I've started tossing them out now.
Jan...

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

is it too soon to start castor bean seed indoors?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.