Snail Vine (Art)

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Art,
Here is a picture of one of my snail vine cuttings I planted on this fence this summer. As you can see, it is starting to bloom nicely and spreading well. Being a wood fence, I have been taking the fencing staples and hammering them in at different levels across the fence and tying the vine to different ones as it spreads and grows. It doesn't have aerial roots like aroids so it has to be tied or have something to twine around like chain link fencing. I have one starting to take over my old chain link dog kennel (turned water turtle habitat) and should be covered this summer. It share the fencing with vigna caracalla (corkscrew vine) and p. incense so it should be a nice purple display.

Thumbnail by budgielover

While taking the snail vine picture, I also took this shot of a salmon porterweed next to my gold variegated duranta.

Thumbnail by budgielover
Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

Hi Jan, I am glad I planted mine by the chain link fence. Plenty for it to grab on there. It's between two Mexican Flame vines. It has about 8 feet to grow in each direction.

Interesting lookin duranta. The one I moved a short while ago is doing nicely. New growth all around the plant with new branches about 1 - 2 inches long. I have high hopes for it there. This is also by the chain link fence. The Mexican Flame Vines are really attracting bunches of butterflies. This section of the yard is finally getting it's due.

Have any luck with the link to native nursery links I left you yesterday.

Art

Hi,
Haven't had a chance to look at the nurseries as yet.
The duranta is one of my favorites. I have 2 of the variegated. The one in the picture is the gold/green variegated. Has yet to bloom but the foliage is worth growing. The only one is a white/green variegated that does bloom purple. I'll have to try the Mexican Flame Vine.
I just started some white hummingbird vine so we'll see how it does.
Jan...

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

I forgot to mention I put the Spanish Shawl Centradenia floribunda in a 12" hanging pot on Monday. This way as it grows I can take clippings and get them out into the yard and I will also be able to enjoy it's color poolside.

Here's the page for central florida retail native nurseries. There are several in your area, including some just around the bend.
http://www.afnn.org/search_afnn_company.asp?a=search&type=retailer&parram=area

Art

Thanks Art,
I will probably go to Wilcox's after the holiday. They advertise S. Stoppers so maybe I will luck out and get one there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.