Annual vines

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Hello,
I am looking at trying some different annual vines next year on a cyclone fence. Last year I had Morning Glories that got a "little" crazy. I have grown Cardinal Climber and Catheral Bells in the past also.
I was looking in Parks at the Corkscrew and Cypress Vine. Does anyone close to my Zone 5 have any experience with these?

This is their home- at the end of the fence.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Cypress vine is very close to the Cardinal Climber in flower but presents a very 'ferny' leaf habit.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

I grow the corkscrew vine, and it's one that has to be overwintered inside, it will definitely freeze if left outside :( There are some folks in higher zones who are experimenting with leaving them in ground and mulching heavily to see if they come back over winter but I don't think ours have any chance of that here in zone 5's, the cardinal and cypress vines may come back from seeds dropped, but not from tubers or roots. However, you could dig up any tuberous roots from your corkscrew if you get it - chop the vine down to around a foot from soil, dig up the rootball and pot it up, over winter indoors, then replant out in spring (or after chances of all freezing have past) it will re-shoot up those vines again with a wonderful display.
I personally would love to see everyone get to grow the corkscrew vine, just for the fragrance alone, the blooms are darling, but the scent is sooo very much worth it :)

Laurrie

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

I love Cypress vine. The hummingbirds just flock to it. Don't plant it if you are supersticious... "Plant not a Cypress Vine lest it bring death to thee and thine". Don't ask me where I got that. I don't remember but I love flower and plant "lore".

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Ohio Breezy- does Corkscrew vine bloom the first year in the ground in zone 5? I don't know why, (probably because I like it), but I have always doubted that it could be grown as an annual in my climate.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

They (Park's) sure seem to market it as a flowering annual. I will try both in time, I think next year it will be the cypress vine.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

I had 3 plants in one pot, not in ground, I suspect what I bought was older than a year old vine, but they bloomed so wonderfully, I also had another pot with a 2 year old vine, it also bloomed in the pot for me, next year I will try in ground, but didn't this year so I can't say how they would do.
I would think if you didn't get blooms the first year it could be because they didn't have enough growing time, I know folks who start seeds late January or early Feb and get blooms first year from seed (and time enough to set seed). But I do think here in our zones, they would definitely do much better if taken from the pot and planted directly inground as soon as weather permits.

Laurrie

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Thanks!

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Try hyacinth bean vine. I think you can view it on the Plantfiles.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I would like to make my daughter a hyacinth bean tent. Thanks for reminding me!

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey, bigcityal!

I have seeds for Twining Snapdragon, Chickabiddy 'Joan Lorraine' (Asarina scandens) http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/77535/index.html

This gal will take over your whole fence .. in a beautiful wayz! She's light and airy too.

~* Robin

would you trade for the Chickabiddy? How much sun does it require?
I have: cardinal flower seed (my most coveted), Hollyhocks, Love in a Mist, Rattlesnake plantain (very rare), Evening Primrose, Purple cleome, baby pink zinnias and Hyacinth bean seed.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

cypress vine is a real "heirloom" plant down here--it means your "heirs" will be yanking it out of the garden for years. lol. Its down right a pest for me and I haven't intentionally grown it in 15 yrs.

Ivy, I had an aunt living in Winsor Locks. She actually grew okra and lima beans. Of course, she had to start them in her basement.
She was raised in Dillon, SC, and had to have some southern foods. Family members were always mailing her bags of grits, lol.
Parts of the mountains in NC are zone 6 also and there is no problem here growing Cypress vine.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

woodspirit1, check you dmail.

~* Robin

I checked it but nothing there from you...?

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Woodspirit- My dad is constantly looking for good chili and Mexican food! He lived in Oklahoma for 30 years before moving to Ct. He's right- the Mexican food here is hard to find and most of it is terrible!

My Mom used to mail Lilac blossoms to my Grandma who lived in Texas. I don't know if they won't grow there, or she just didn't have her own space to grow them, but every year my mom would send them to her.

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Big City Al....were you able to get blooms on the cathedral bells (cup and saucer vine)? I've never been able to get them (the vine) to grow more than a few feet tall, and NO blooms.

You might want to try Scarlet Runner Bean or Hyacinth Bean--I've seen photos of them growing on chain link fences and they look great. How about Malabar Spinach vine? Nice shiny glossy foilage, and edible too!

Just a few thoughts! I'm in zone 5 - close to Milwaukee.

Sandy

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi Sandy,
I saw your name on some other thread and was trying to guess where Franklin was, I thought it was SE.
My Cathedral Bells flowered late in the year(September). They grew slow during the year - 6-8' total or so. Probably 20 flowers or so then frost.
I got my Cypress Vine in that I am going to try this year.
The Hyacinth Bean I might try one year, I have not tried the Spinach.
Al

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.