Day Trip: Lukas Nursery in Oviedo

St Augustine, FL(Zone 9a)

Took a two hour ride yesterday to a nursery that Leslie (LaLambchop) mentioned. It was such an incredible experience that I decided to share it here.

First of all, the number and variety of plants was amazing.

However, the most amazing thing was that they have a "Butterfly Encounter". An area indoors where they have all the plants butterflies like, plus live flutterbys flying all over in one room, and their cats in another. They even sell native cats.

We spent like three hours there and bought a ton of butterfly attracting plants.

The nursery is on route 426, just a short (right turn) off a left turn at the exit ramp of rt. 417 and was well worth going to see! Karen

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Karen....next time you go to Lucas, let me know, and I'll meet you there! It's a great place! Maybe we can get some of the Central Florida DH-ers to meet there for a field trip!
:)
MerryMary

(Zone 9a)

That sounds like a great place. I also would like to go, especially to get plants that attract butterflies. I work days, but I have some days off (12/22 to 1/4) and 1/16. It would be nice to meet some Central Florida DGers in person. I have finished grading research papers and final exams and finally have such as thing as spare time.

I'll be gone for the holidays, so let's see if we can get some DG-ers together for a Lucas trip in January(?) I know my mom (ChiaLea) in Clermont wants to go too...
let's get something organized!

(Zone 9a)

okay, sounds good--I figured holidays would be too busy for people.

I'm hoping they still have blooming things in January, if not, we'll plan a 2nd trip in June! I'd also like to take a trip to Leu Gardens and the Epcot Flower Power show (it's a month long)
MerryMary

I am game for any of the trips mentioned above!! We should meet for lunch maybe, either before or after. Karen

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Hi all,

Count me in on the trips. Sounds great! Does anyone know if there has been a round up in the Orlando area? Maybe we can do one around May and tie it in with trips to the big daylily hybridizers gardens. What do you think?

Leslie

Leslie...Corky59 is trying to get one going sometime in Feb I believe...We will do our joint effort field trips until a real one takes place! Anyone can go to Lukas, Epcot, or Leu Gadens with us, since they're all here in Orlando.
:)

Duh, What's a roundup? Karen

(Zone 9a)

I've never been to one, Karen, but I think they are events in which DGers gather to trade plants they grow. It sounds as if people may even arrange what to trade with whom before hand, too. From reading the threads, the event sounds as if it takes a good part of the day. It sounds like a good way to meet people we "talk" to a lot in real life. (I probably wouldn't have much to trade being new at this.)

I wouldn't have much to trade either, but would love to meet other gardeners. Karen

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

We can do one at my house if we do it late spring, early summer. We're renovating before that.LOL

Leslie

LaLambchop....sounds like a deal if you have a location to hold one.... :)

Others~ Don't feel bad if you don't have anything yet to share or trade, it's mainly to get to know the other DH-ers in your area and have some fun.

Mary

(Zone 9a)

It'll be nice to meet real people, not just text on page.

I'm game! Karen

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Me, too since I'll be in central FL for at least a few months, shuffling between my sister's in Kissimee and MollyMc's near Gainesville.

Darius, It will be great to have you! I told MollyMc on another thread (a while back) that we were trying to get everyone together, so keep her in the loop so she can attend as well!
Mary

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Mary, since I shall be staying with her I can assure she will be in the loop!

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

I'd like to go to Lucas, when everyone else goes.

Steve

We're counting you in Steve!

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I'm here keeping an eye on when. I'll like to meet yall too.

Molly
:^)))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.