pumpkins

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

I bought two very large pumpkins a few weeks ago, and just this weekend finished cooking them and putting up many jars of pumpkin butter. (yum!) I had pulled the seeds from the pulp and put them in a plastic bowl in the kitchen, planning on drying them out and planting them in the spring. Last night I got out the bowl of seeds to lay them out on paper towels to complete the drying process, and found that many of the seeds had sprouted! The roots are about 3-4 inches long, the seed shells have opened and a green leaf is emerging from quite a few of the seeds.

I planted some of these sprouted seeds in a pot of potting soil that I had around, and watered them in. I left the little green leaf above ground and the rest went into the dirt. What are the chances that these sprouts will thrive through the winter and can be transplanted outside after the last freeze? Am I better off sorting out the seeds that did not sprout and saving those to be planted outside in the spring? Just wondering what to do with all the sprouted seeds I still have laying in a tray of water.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

There is a very little chance of them being able to make it all the way to Spring... and the blooms would have trouble setting in the house. Sorry... Mitch

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.