OK, I found some SuperThrive Now what??

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I kept hearing everyone talking about SuperThrive in various DG forums, so I went hunting and finally found a little bottle of it!

Now I am confused as to when/how to use it.

I've recall that people like it for soaking bare root plants before setting them out as well as for perking up cuttings before sticking them....

What about cuttings you are rooting in water? Would SuperThrive be a good thing to add to the water? (what dilution?)

Is it ever a good idea to add a little (how much?) when watering either seedlings or older plants?

Is there any other use I should know of for this miracle juice? :-)

Thanks for any/all suggestions!

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

I use it ( a different brand = same thing ) for watering in transplants.

If I get cuttings that arrive very limp and need to be totally immersed in water for a couple of hours , I add somma this stuff.

If starting cuttings directly in potting mix I water with 1/2 strength solution until they catch hold.

As far as cuttings in water go , personally I wouldn't add any fert or food to the water , you will just grow algae.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Wow, that was quick, scooterbug -- thanks!

Arlington, TX

I use it a lot. HD landscape has a big bottle for less than I've ever seen. I use it on transplants. It seems to help stimulate roots. Maybe I'm crazy but it sure seems to make a difference when I use it. It's B vitamins.
cynthia

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Cynthia, do you soak bare root transplants in it before planting out, or do you water them in with a solution of SuperThrive? Or both?

I wonder if a sprinkle of yeast would be beneficial around new plants... that's loaded with B vitamins... hmm.

Arlington, TX

If you are going to soak the bare roots...yes! Add some to it. Rosarians like it and even add it to foliar spray. I first learned about it from a knowledgeable clerk at a big garden center. He told me to go ahead and buy the near-dead roses from the pitiful plant pile, and water them deeply with ST when I planted. Well, it worked! I have also transplanted tropical hibiscus in late July and kept the buds. Why would anyone buy and transplant a tropical in arid summer Texas in lat July? Because they were so cheap!

I don't know about yeast, makes sense to me. I would ask on a rose site. Those serious rosarians are often serious chemists.

smiles
cynthia

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Cool! I can't wait to see what a difference that little bottle will make around here next spring/summer....

I bought a pretty dead looking hardy hibiscus in September.... for a buck! It had dropped its leaves due to underwatering, but I figured it was pretty close to time for dormancy anyway, and what the heck. It did put out one new leaf a week after I got it home, so I took that as a good sign!

Brownsville, KY(Zone 6a)

Critterologist,
I use ST in every watering on potted plants and cuttings in soil or water. At this time of year with cooler temps and lower light levels when plants are under more stress, it is comparable to a person taking Vitamin C to ward off a cold.

In warmer weather I add it to water with plant food (fish emulsion). I also use it in a mister.

Shirley

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK.... I will start using it now, then, on my indoor plants! As luck would have it, this is "watering day," so your tip is very timely!

Thanks!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

loveshercowdog
Is this Home Depot? I know I sound dumb but never seen landscape on the end.

Thanks,
Sandy ^8^

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

I think she is talking about the Home Depot Landscaping Center - it is a separate store in Arlington.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Figures we don't have one of those. That stuff is high even on ebay.

Thanks,
Sandy ^8^

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, but it really goes a long way if you follow the directions - just a few drops per gallon of water. I need to go re read it myself. I have had the same little bottle since last spring and it is still half full.

1/2 teasp per gallon of water.

This message was edited Dec 17, 2005 9:19 AM

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Thank you, I did not realize it went that far. It is used for cuttings and plants Right? I want to make sure I get every benefit as I need all the help I can get. I don't understand why some cuttings take and others rot
even in the same container of water. Some are different coleus and some are different brugs? Not just from the same plant. Sometimes I lose them all and the other day on type coleus rooted in the same water one
other type rotted. Any suggestions? Will super thrive maybe help or is my thumb only a little bit green?

Thanks for all the help.

Merry Christmas and many Abundant Blessings,
Sandy †

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Don't buy it on ebay- I think they are over pricing- it's cheaper at Lowe's and Walmart, next best price, about $1.00 more at Home Depot. Should run about $8.00 bive or take for the 4 oz bottle and it really does go a very long way.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Thank you so much. You read my mind. I was going to ask what the price usually runs as I have been checking it in ebay. It is 8.00 last time I looked here at walmart.
Was not sure if that was the best price.

Seems like ebay is retail prices anymore. What happened to bargains there and at Sam's. Sale prices
are better than most prices at Sam's. My friend told me her membership is jumping 5 dollars the 1st of Jan. for Sam's. From 30 to 35.

Thanks so much.
Merry Christmas,
Sandy †

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.