Got Pallets?

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Yes.
And you were wondering why?
Sidney

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

Sidney,

I posted, but it didn't work. Dave had a hiccup.

I'm looking for 10 3X3 pallets, to make a compost bin. I'm in Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, close to Tampa, Zephyrhiils, Dade City, Land O Lakes, Lutz.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Have you asked on Freecycle?
Sidney

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

Here they have free palletts everywhere......you'll find them at stone, brick or paver installation companies. Also, check with people who manufacture granite countertops. You'll probably need to "let your fingers do the shopping with the yellow pages" and call around. Good luck.

Sid,

What's Freecycle?

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Here's a suggestion, but it might sound a little strange.

There's a funeral home near a pizza place that I frequent. One day, I was leaving the pizza place and noticed all these pallet-type chunks of lumber outside the funeral home. It took my friend and I a few minutes to figure that one out -- it's the crates that the caskets come in. The funeral home was just throwing this wood out, which was presumably pine. Would make a great compost bin if you were so inclined to go ask a funeral home for them... I'd just go dumpster hunting at strip malls and big-box stores like Home Depot -- you're bound to find pallets tossed out as trash somewhere.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I've had a recycled pallet compost bin for several years and it works well as a 3-sided bin to pile yard trash and food scraps for composting. Unless you live in an environment free of scavengers (e.g., rats, possums, coons, etc.), you will have them visiting the compost pile. The pallet slat openings provide easy access for all of the above.

Just keep one eyed turned toward the curb when driving about and I'm sure you will soon happen upon a pile of thrown away pallets.

You might want to ascertain for certain that the pallets are being thrown out. Some companies, such as lawn grass sod suppliers, charge the buyer a deposit on the pallets (usually about $5) and you might upset someone if you haul away pallets they are planning to return to get their deposit back.

If all else fails, check your yellow pages for your local pallet recycling/refurbishing facility. You could probably get some used pallets from them at little or no cost.

Jeremy

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

Saw some yesterday at our local Ace Hardware that has a small lumber yard. The Quickcrete concrete comes in on the pallets. Might check small hardware stores or someone that supplies concrete.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I get mine from freecyclers and someone who has a pool chemical supply company who gets all his chems on pallets. I just have to let him know in advance when I need some and he will save them for me. I use them to put my potted plants on that I have been propagating. Hadn't thought of using them for compost bin what it's something to consider.
I haven't used one for fear that the dogs would get in and try to eat everything. LOL

Somebody forwarded me plans for a three-sided bin that also included pallets in front, to keep varmints out. The bin used a total of 10 pallets. The person provided me a link, which, of course, I can find now. If I do, I'll post it here.

Steve

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's a link to several compost bins including a pallet.

http://www.mastercomposter.com/equip/buildbin.html

Thanks Budgie.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Up here where I am, at the plazas over by Gainesville, I picked up one to seat the generator back at Thanksgiving. They were behind a business by the garbage. I figured they were throwing them out.

I have a compost pile right now and for the first time in a month, something got into it 2 nights ago, so we are off to find more pallets to build the compost bin with.

I've been watching freecycle for several items but haven't seen pallets up for offers, but will continue to watch there.

Molly
:^)))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.