Has anyone ever tried these from seed?

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Centratherum 'Brazilian Bachelor Buttons'
Nicotiana 'Only The Lonely'
Reseda - Mignonette
Zaluzianskya 'Midnight Candy'

I was thinking of ordering some but I wanted to get some imput on growing them from seed. Any comments?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I've grown nicotiana and reseda from seed, and neither was difficult, as I recall. In fact, you might consider requesting seed from the Seed Trade forum. I know those two are fairly common. I'm not familiar with the other two. Here's a good reference for germination requirements: http://tomclothier.hort.net/

They are all realtively easy from seed.

It's worth saying now that it's all subjective, I've grown supposedly difficult plants from seed with no problems and yet struggle with some reputedly easy from seed plants

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Point taken, Baa. I've found a few that elude me, but seem just dandy for others. Some I've decided to plant indoors, then banish to the porch cold to winter sow, if they don't come up for me. Sometimes it works!

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

I thought I resopned to this yesterday but I guess I just thought about it and didnt do it. So wierd! I even remember typing the message! I guess I should read thru my other threads maybe I posted it to the wrong one. Oh where has my mind gone!
Thank you both for your input and for the link (very helpful) its nice to have the growing temps listed. I have also had the same mixed results with so called easy seed. I just don't have the time or space to keep cold for so long then warm then sun and no sun. I just like to put it in the dirt add water and get a plant. I cant even remember where I post so how am I to remember all that mess.
~Caren

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Caren, I have the same problem with special stratification requirements. Keeping anything in the fridge in a container is prohibitive. It's bound to get tipped over or mashed. I've found that most of these special needs seeds require a week or two of warm temps, then, if no germination, temps in or close to freezing for a week or two, then cold temps gradually warming.

I try to time my indoor planting so that these planted seeds can go out on the porch after their little honeymoon of warmth. If I do this when it is the right temp out there, nature will do the rest as spring arrives and the temps go up. Sometimes I'm successful, sometimes I'm not, but it's my best option. As the season warms a bit, I have to mist the domed flats on the porch from time to time, but that's not too much trouble.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

The Centrantherum are great! Now I am sitting here wondering if I remembered to collect seeds in the midst of things. Ack! Anyway...they are a really nice flower that will sometimes self sow a plant or two (in my zone). They sort of remind me of tall lavender dandelions. I've been growing them for some 5-8 years I guess. I highly recommend them.

Nicotiana was a favorite for a few years then somehow I forget to plant some. I really should make a not of that.

Good luck!

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for
HYPERLINK@tomclothier.hort.net]
I bookmarked it - no Brugs or Datura tho

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.