Is This ready?

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

My first seed pod. I am so tickled that it is even there, I don't want to touch it! I don't think Fuchsia grows true from seed.. isn't that right? Are they hard to germinate? I don't have the name, although it looks just like the 'Annabel". The bloom is a double very pale pink/white and very pretty.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

Yes it's ripe and no it won't come true from seed. Fuchsia fruit are edible, they are a little insipid but pleasantly light.

They aren't terribly difficult from seed but they are so incredibly easy from cuttings, unless you want to see what the seedlings turn out like, it's quicker and easier to take cuttings.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL I love this place! Thank you Baa! It tastes a little like a grape! I doubt I would have had the patience to save those seeds anyway.. but it was sure fun. What a surprise! I didn't know it would be a fruit!
I will take some cuttings and try that.. this is just tooo fun.
Thankz again...

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I've often wondered if they were edible. Mine have all frozen and now, with a warm wind, turned to mush.

I read somewhere that you should soak the seed in boiling water before planting it - has anyone tried this?

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, when I opened the fruit.. it was soooo much like a grape with the seeds on the ouside... (next to the peel) and they were TEENY TINY.. very messy if you were to try to save these seeds.. I love a challenge, and I really enjoy germinating seeds, but this was a little more than I'd like to take on, especially since they don't grow true from seed.

During the war when food was tightly rationed, the fruit would be collected and be made into Fuchsia jam. No doubt a glut of blackberries, currants and Fuchisa would be consumed as nature intended before they ever got to the pot ;). Maybe I should note that F. magellanica can be found in hedgerows here although they are rather more scarce now than they were. The flower is edible too and makes a pretty cake decoration.

Kathleen, I've read that too but fresh seed shouldn't need any soaking, I've tried dried Fuchsia seed and not once had it germinate whatever I do.

ZZsbabiez I'm glad you liked the fruit!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.