Info for My Earthbox Gardeners

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Don't do as I did when my season ended in June. I neglected to clean out my EBs in a timely manner and then got ill for six weeks only to return to sixteen EBs jammed solid with weeds ------ Florida weeds! They are the worst! Seems like some wild seed of St Augustine grass got mixed in the soil from the tears in the plastic covers. The root systems were so solidly packed that it was impossible to seperate the roots from the soil. I had to buy fresh mix(Jungle Growth) at $6 for a 2cu ft bag x 15(gave one clean box to Flip) = $90. A very foolish and costly mistake. All I had to do at that time was to remove old growth and old fertilizer line, add some new mix, provide a new cover and voila, I would have been all set for the September season. My favorite. What a waste as the soil lasts for at least five or more years. DON'T DO AS I DID.....

St Augustine, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the heads up. In Massachusetts that was never an issue cause everything dies during the winter. I will have to be aware of it here. Karen

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

cleaned my out the day i took the tomato plants out of them.

This is what I meant. Underneath all that are two EBs. More come.to

Thumbnail by Tplant

This was another mess but have been cleaned out to some degree. A lot of hard, hard work. They weigh about 40lbs dry.

Thumbnail by Tplant

So in the long run avoid a lot of unnecessary work and money by cleaning out the old plants, scoop out the old fertilizer, add fresh potting mix to bring it back to the top again and cover with a new cover until your season begins.

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Tplant, glad to hear you're better after a six week illness! Those earthboxes look like they took a beating, you get some really nasty weeds down there.

I too, understand the pain of Earthbox Resuscitation - after a wonderful growing season this year, I was forced to abandon mine in a hasty retreat from the former gf's house. Finding a vehicle capable of hauling 10 EB's and bags of dirt and fertilizer has eluded me, so it looks like they will stay there a little longer. :)

Great news is that I am now 20 minutes closer to work, and have a tiny home (my first) on a huge lot! Some of you may remember my first EB garden pics (somewhere in http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/472214/ ), I'm sorry I didnt get to post many pictures of them late in the season, but things were pretty hectic around here. Thanks to all the EB'ers who helped me out; Ritchh, Tplant & Carminator all deserving special mention! The pesto and tomatos were wonderful, the peppers were unbeleivably prolific, and the squash and eggplants made some of the best risottos I've ever had.

When I do go to set them up this year, I was wondering what the technique is for refreshing organic EB's? Should I empty them all out on a tarp and mix in compost and fertilizer, then rebox them? I'd like to get my prep-work done early so Im able to put them out as soon as spring arrives (or I crack and build a ramshackle greenhouse). Any other gardening prep checklists you experienced gardeners have would be great!

Hope the holidays find you all safe, warm and planning Gardens,

Chris

Thumbnail by VirginiaPesto

Chris --- If the picture is your new home, it is beautiful and congratulations. Get those EB's ASAP even if you have to rent a U-Haul. They are the greatest. As far as the soil is concerned, if it is not weed infected like mine were, just add fresh soil to fill the box. No need to empty the box. Before you are ready to replant order new covers then plant, fertilize, lime just like you first did. Use lime definetly for tomatos but use your own judgement about liming other crops. Ritchh is the pro on liming other veggies.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.