Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Info for My Earthbox Gardeners, 1 by VirginiaPesto

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright VirginiaPesto

In reply to: Info for My Earthbox Gardeners

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Info for My Earthbox Gardeners
VirginiaPesto wrote:
Tplant, glad to hear you're better after a six week illness! Those earthboxes look like they took a beating, you get some really nasty weeds down there.

I too, understand the pain of Earthbox Resuscitation - after a wonderful growing season this year, I was forced to abandon mine in a hasty retreat from the former gf's house. Finding a vehicle capable of hauling 10 EB's and bags of dirt and fertilizer has eluded me, so it looks like they will stay there a little longer. :)

Great news is that I am now 20 minutes closer to work, and have a tiny home (my first) on a huge lot! Some of you may remember my first EB garden pics (somewhere in http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/472214/ ), I'm sorry I didnt get to post many pictures of them late in the season, but things were pretty hectic around here. Thanks to all the EB'ers who helped me out; Ritchh, Tplant & Carminator all deserving special mention! The pesto and tomatos were wonderful, the peppers were unbeleivably prolific, and the squash and eggplants made some of the best risottos I've ever had.

When I do go to set them up this year, I was wondering what the technique is for refreshing organic EB's? Should I empty them all out on a tarp and mix in compost and fertilizer, then rebox them? I'd like to get my prep-work done early so Im able to put them out as soon as spring arrives (or I crack and build a ramshackle greenhouse). Any other gardening prep checklists you experienced gardeners have would be great!

Hope the holidays find you all safe, warm and planning Gardens,

Chris