Sago Palm Seeds

Lake Forest, CA(Zone 10a)

I pulled some seeds off of my friend's sago palm, and was wondering if there is a way I can tell if they are viable or not (besides trying to grow them...)? If the sago palm produced the seeds, does that mean it was fertilized and the seeds are viable?

Thank you

Dave

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Dave, There is a great article on growing Sago Palms from seeds at rhapisgardens.com/sagos.Someday I'm going to get real interested in this PC stuff and learn how to provide links. Hope this helps.
Ray

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Best I remember, sago seeds are a bit bigger than a grape and dark brown with an almost woody coat. I grew them from seed a few years ago. I think I nicked them and put them in potting mix then sat them on top of the fridge. Funny thing was, I forgot about them. A month or more later, I noticed some odd thing sticking off the top of my fridge. It was a little sago palm. LOL The others sprouted right behind him. I gave some away and killed some others. Whoops. It was fun to grow them from seed and I will again some day. :)

Mesilla Park, NM

There is a good sheet of information that Onalee sends out with her Palm seeds on how to grow them. The ones I ordered from her are about 8 months old and they have rooted but not completely sprouted. They take a long time (3 mos or more to germinate).

If the seeds float, they are not good. also there is a coat that she removes.. Onalee is a DG member. Maybe she can jump in here. Or e-mail her. Great info she has.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.