nifty technique for tricky seeds

(Zone 7a)

This has to do with using the plant growth hormone "giberrellic acid" to encourage otherwise difficult seeds to germinate: http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/GibberellicAcid.htm

I've not tried it myself, but perhaps someone else would.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

ugh?

I found out that soaking seeds overnight, in very hot tap water with 0ne tablespoon of household strength peroxide added in; into a jar with a tight screw on lid work just as well!

See & read this thread: Propagation: seed germination-DAYlilies: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/414635/
&
Propagation: Stolen Idea! http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/423028/

~* Robin

(Zone 7a)

wonderful links, Robin - thank you.

I agree that applying the solution of H202 and water to seed for germination in general is a great idea. But among the zillions of different kinds of seed on the planet, there is quite a host of different inhibitors to germination. It's possible that when the H202 solution does not work all by itself, that adding another method of breaking an inhibitor to it would make a difference. Hence, the suggestion of using gibberellic acid.

Well, I can't afford the gibberellic acid and related equipment right now - but can do the hydrogen peroxide. Thanks again - Karen

somewhere, PA

I've used Gibberellic acid. Haven't tried H2O2 though.
I've experimented with the GA3 and it does help with seeds
that don't germinate otherwise. I bought it a few years ago
but I don't recall it being very expensive.

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

It's not expensive if you buy one of these kits, but it's expensive if you buy a whole jar from, say, Peaceful Valley.

somewhere, PA

Yeah - I got a little kit from JL Hudson Seedman. You can find 'em using google.
(I am in no way associated with this source. Just found it when I was searching & did
order GA3 from them.)

I use the Ontario chapter of the N. American Rock Garden Society website. They have
a terrific germination guide on-line.

Tammy,

The link is above; in the first posting by bluespiral.

~* Robin

somewhere, PA

Yeah - I just saw that. *red faced*

San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

My understanding about hydrogen peroxide is that you need a strength of about 30%--not the usual over-the-counter product you get at the grocery store. It does work sometimes, but you shouldn't soak the seeds too long; annuals generally shouldn't soak for more than eight hours.
Gibbereillic acid was developed for use after the Japanese discovered it when trying to deal with something they called "foolish seedling disease". This is a fungus that causes seedlings to grow too much too fast. Every plant part has G.A. in it. Its action is to make germination more uniform and quicker; hence its use in dealing with recalcitrant seeds.

hydrogen peroxide at 30% strength will cook the seeds' embryo... Please re-read the info you looked up.

Sprouting seeds: Add 1 oz. of 3% food grade hydrogen peroxide to 1 pint of water and soak the seeds overnight. Add the same amount of H202 each time the seeds are rinsed.

~* Robin

Edited for you to read this link: Propagation: Stolen Idea! http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/423028/
And read what soulgardenlove, from Marietta, GA, in Zone 7b. On Dec 30, 2005; at 7:29 PM said.

This message was edited Dec 31, 2005 6:55 AM

somewhere, PA

thank you!!! You saved me from hunting around a bit. I bought the H2O2 yesterday and
have my jar & seedsd ready. Just needed the recipe.
Tam

(Zone 7a)

Just wanted to give a very tardy thank you to everyone who responded to this thread - lots of very useful information.

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

bluespiral, you can order the GA3 without the extras, if you know what PPM you are going to use. it's pretty easy to do. I use it on hard to germinated seeds. usually just soaking overnight. if I'm experimenting I only soak a few seeds and them sow them and wait and see. hostajim1

(Zone 7a)

Thanks, hostajim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.