clematis - your favorite online vendors

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Ok, Ok I will humiliate myself. I paid $25 for carnaby, a tiny carnaby plus postage. I think donahues had them for $16.95

I believe my request for catalog was done by email and received within a week. very nice and innovative. few pages but pix arranged in a clever manner. hope you get it soon

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Please, DON"T feel humiliated! It's happens to ALL of us!! Definitely grow your Carnaby in a 1 gallon pot for at LEAST 6 mos. Look at its root system in early Spring and see if the roots are starting to grow out the bottom of the container. If not, hold that baby in its container until next Fall. I know that it seems like a very long time, but most gardeners loose their Clematis vines due to an immature root system that can not be forgotten once it has been planted out, in either too wet or too dry conditions and disease. Your Carnaby will rewarded your patience with a glorious display of flowers in your garden one day!

I'll send Donahue's an e-mail requesting their '06 catalogue and start drooling over the photos too!

It is even worse because the ones I bought at Walmart were about the same size as the one I got in ebay and cost only $4.95. Too bad I planted them to grow up on trees that I eventually lost, but for $5, I didn't cry, just wimpered a bit.

Carnaby is doing great and it is potted and I'm gonna do as you say.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Vossner i bought some at Houston Garden Center in Pasadena last week for like $2-3 for a 1 gal pot. Almost everything is 70% off. They had a few varieties... I got Nelly Moser. I'm pretty sure there is one on 59 near the Sugarland area... or it might be Hwy 6... my best friend lives in Sugarland, and I think I've seen one over there when shopping with her.

OMG I'v GOT to go there tomorrow!!!!! You're talking about the yellow/red umbrella right?

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Yep that's it. I was there last weekend :) Its such a huge place, so you have to look hard! I found mine near the ferns.... there was about half an aisle worth of them. Good luck, let me know what you find.

This message was edited Dec 4, 2005 9:43 PM

Almcfarla, I got there just as fast as I could this morning. Asked the nice lady: "where are the clematis" (prononced BOTH ways). Her reply: "what's that?". Lucky for me, she went to find the manager and he directed me. yipee, got nelly moser, jackmanii and lady Ruppel for $2.10 each.

Thanks so much for the tip. Y'all got get you some, there's still plenty left.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah, I've found the help there isn't too plant knowledgeable. I'm so glad you got some!!! I was ecstatic when I found them, too... never seen them at a store locally before that, except in those bulb sacks, and those didn't grow for me.

Yay!

last year I got some around Mother's day for $4.95. But $2.10 is a much sweeter deal. wohoo!!

they also had
haglers hybrid
The President
Piilu

but I didn't get those.

last year I got some around Mother's day for $4.95. But $2.10 is a much sweeter deal. wohoo!!

they also had
haglers hybrid
The President
Piilu

but I didn't get those.
BTW, This is the Houston Garden Center at 99 and Hwy 59, in the Greatwood area.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

You lucky people. We have nothing like that here. :-(
Susan
=^..^=

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

You certainly can't go wrong at $2.10 or $4.95!! Great find!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.