clematis - your favorite online vendors

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

please share your favorites. i bought one on ebay, Carnaby, and I think I overpaid big time. Other than that, walmart has been my only other source. Planted them by trees so they could grow along them but can you believe that I lost the trees and since the trees fell over the clems, I lost them too. what are the odds?

I realize this isn't the time to buy, but I'm just collecting data. Thanks for sharing

Ashland, NE(Zone 5a)

Here's one...hope this helps...

http://donahuesgreenhouse.com/standard.html

I havn't quite yet figured out where you order from on here though.

http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/clematis/

This one I beleive is mostly just info. :)

This message was edited Nov 20, 2005 8:06 PM

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I ordered from donahues and was very happy with them.The plants were great and they were very nice to deal with.I will order again in the spring.If I remember correctly you email them and they will send you a info.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Don't forget about Chalk Hill in California, Joy Creek in Oregon, Completely Clematis in Massachusetts and Brushwood in New Jersey (I believe).

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Brushwood is in Pennsylvania and I was very pleased with the 10 I got from them this spring. They were all 14.99 (slightly more than many vendors), but shipping was free and there are discounts when your order reaches a certain amount, so they ended up being a really good deal. All really deep rooted, sturdy plants to. The owner (Dan)emailed me about 1 variety that was sold out and gave me a list of similar color and bloom types and was very pleasant and knowlegable. Neal.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I was very happy with my orders from Brushwood.

Thanks for the correction Neal on the location of Brushwood Nursery. I couldn't remember off the top of my head! Having a senior moment!

Actually, $14.99 is a very good price for well rooted Clematis vines. The more deeply rooted, the better! Which 10 did you purchase from Brushwood, Neal?

You have a beautiful collection of Clematis, Ada. Which ones did you get from Dan at Brushwood?

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Shirley, I couldn't tell you the names without going and looking them up.I ordered about ten or more for him. I also ordered other vines from Dan that I was very happy with. They all had great root systems.

Ada, I've also ordered 10 or more new Clematis vines, but I got some from Chalk Hill, some from Completely Clematis and a few from catalogs that came in the mail. I see you are addicted to Clematis just like I am! :~)

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Hi vossner, keep bumping into you....I have just put a Golden Tiara in PF, but will take time to get listed...so will give you a peek. It's other name is 'Kugotia' , trademarked. It is very easy, I grew 2 from cuttings off a plant I bought for a present, and make a mature plant in a year. They grow up either side of a leg of a copper tubed pergola, about 15" apart, cut down each spring to 1 foot off ground, they climb at least 10', mine has gone into the eucalyptus tree next to it, they flower from quite early in summer into autumn, continuous, not like some that have the odd one if you are lucky. Foliage is also delicate and nearly fern-like. It will tolerate dryness, the tree takes all the moisture, and is in a semi-shaded spot, no sun in winter

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Janet, yellow clematis? that is soooooo fine!

There are quite a few, this is one of the newer (1994) ones, a chance seedling of 'Golden Harvest'. It was awarded the British Clematis Society Certificate of Merit in 1999. The raiser is kuif, Holland, also awarded the best new cultivar Valarasan-Toomey Award 1999. It is a tangutica type.

If that all sounds very clever, I got some from a grower here, and have the catalogue, but got this from a local nursery that also grows them. Do you not have them there?

I once had a great site with lots of pics on, don't know if I can find it, it was a Hull University site I think, that is here.

well, maybe we do, but since I'm not that familiar with clematis, I had not seen a yellow before.

maybe other DGers that grow it will post here.

see if I can find a supplier for you, mail order is the best way to get what you want..

found the Hull site, text by Robin Savill, the guy I got some from and have his catalogue, wouldn't recommend him to anyone though, took me several phone calls and a threat to get my plants, 1 and 1/2 years from ordering and paying!

http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=507

this has lots for reference

Nery, found a grower that supplies suppliers, if that makes sense. There is a link at top or bottom 'gardeners' says if you ask at your local garden centre for a named plant they can ask for it from their suppliers. Worth a try.

http://www.prideofplaceplants.com/vines.html

love this one, I have some of Kivistiks, seems anything I go for was bred by him

http://www.prideofplaceplants.com/vines/clematis_mikelite.html

I'll ck it out. thanks Janet.

that burgundy is just gorgeous

here is clematis flammula, the little white one, it is hugely scented. The wine one is kasmu, one of Kivistiks

Thumbnail by wallaby1

white one looks a lot like sweet autumn clematis. I have a couple of young ones, hope they will look like the ones in your pix by next year.

"Golden Tiara" is a beauty, Wallaby1. I love the gorgeous chance seedling, 'Kugotia''!! Unfortunately, we can't import plants from outside the U.S. without a Phytosanitary Certificate, which is very costly. Many Clematis plants that are available in Europe, Asia & Australia are not always available in the U.S. (sigh), but we are having more and more hybridizers in the U.S. creating beautiful new Clematis plants. Also, Roseville Farms are wholesale growers, not retailers (another big sigh). Are you growing any other Clematis? I would love to see more pictures of them. Are you familiar with Brian Collingwood's Clematis? He is a Clematis hybridizer in Great Britain and has been developing some phenomenal new Clematis. Here is a link to his website to have a look. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bcollingwood/index.htm

well look what I found on a google.......look at darwinESF

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/551666/

I love the picture you just posted of C. "Kasmu". A beautiful dark purple Viticella. I especially like Viticellas as they are not prone to Clematis wilt. According to Clematis on the Web, "Kasmu" was named after a peninsula in the Gulf of Finland. Learn something new every day!

thanks for the link, hadn't seen it, have you looked at the dg link? forestfarm have kugotia.. yep got more, will post some

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Yes, "Golden Tiara" is available at various nurseries in the U.S. I was referring to "Kugotia''.

that was madame le coultre

here is I think Ville de Lyon, Niobe, the red, not sure as the supplier was in the habit of sending wrong plants, didn't order Ville de Lyon

Thumbnail by wallaby1

kugotia and Golden Tiara same thing.......

heres history of Kivistik

http://www.prideofplaceplants.com/kivistik-clematis.html

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Bunches of good clematis info here. I forgot to watch this thread.

Shirley, I got Ascotiensis, Dr.Ruppel, C.durandii, C.montana grandiflora, C.montana rubens, Haku Ookan, Henryi, Jackmanii, Lasurstern, and Ernest Markham. I'm thinking Ernest Markham is the one substituted, but I can't find the name of the replacement.

This is my first go at clematis, so I figure in that assortment, some should go nuts (fingers crossed). I've coveted the clematis of others for far too long. Some of the yellows are calling to me now.
Neal

this link will show the kugotia/golden tiara

http://www.prideofplaceplants.com/vines/clematis_golden_tiara.html

hi neal, i hadn't gone for yellow until I found this, it is a robust beauty

here's juuli

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Thank you for the link, wallaby1. This is the description that I found regarding "Kugotia" on COTW, "Bright yellow nodding flowers opening flat to reveal the prominent, deep purple filaments. Raised by Kuif, Holland in 1994. A chance seedling of 'Golden Harvest'." http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=507

Congratulations, Neal! You are starting off with some lovely Clematis plants! You're well on your way to becoming addicted to these beautiful vines!! :~)

"Juuli" is another beautiul Clematis! What type of shrub do you have it growing through?

hi shirley, i tried twice to send another, won't go, also described it twice!

It is through a lacecap hydrangea, no name, Juuli is Kivistiks, and doesn't climb but makes lots og 5-6 ft or so stems, they lay over into the shrub and all started flowering at same time as hydrangea, not by design but worked out well.

Was going to send Piilu, double pink dk barred over a pittosporum Tom Thumb, it is a real sight

shirley I do know about phytosanitary, I bought a lot of hemerocallis from blueridgedaylilies, cost me a heap with post as well and import taxes, but we have very little here and I had to do something about it!

What a wonderful idea to have Clematis winding through your Hydrangeas. It's perfect that they are both blooming at the same time!!

Blue Ridge Daylilies is an excellent website. I'm surprised to hear that Daylilies are harder to come by in Great Britain. We have the opposite in the U.S. Lots of Daylily Nurseries compared to the number of Clematis Nurseries!

Here is "Charissima" for you!

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

what an absolutely amazing combination!

going to try again with Piilu, tried 3 times

it has a large render time, not working, you'll see it in the photo comp!

I got my Donahue catalog in yesterday's mail and went on a major droolfest, lol. I thought their prices were good. Boy! I REALLY overpaid for Carnaby on ebay.
I love that Golden Tiara, Donahue has it. After giving this some thought, I think my I tend to go for the bicolors and the ones that are long, as I have lots of room for them to ramble.

Not buying til I ck the other websites.

Did you call for Donahue's catalog, because I haven't received mine yet (sigh).

Since I don't know the size/age of "Carnaby", it's very hard to judge if you were over charged. Donahue's is good, but they tend to send vines that need to be grown out in a 1 gallon container for at least 6 mos. before putting them in your garden. I would rather pay a bit more and have a mature root system, but that's up to you.

Do check the other websites....your drooling will become more intense! :~)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.