Propagating my Passion Flower/Vine via cuttings

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I pruned my Passion Flower vine this evening, and now have three cuttings that are about 18" long. I cut just above where it looked like there was an aroid root (is that what it's called?) sticking out (included the root in the cutting end). I put them in water and I'm hoping they'll root. Has anyone ever done this and had success getting starts this way?

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

*bump*

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes, yes, yes!

~* Robin

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Good!! Thanks for the confirmation, Robin!

Kylee

I forgot to mention that mine "is/was" a cutting from 'Lady Margaret' of 10 inches long.

I now have it in soil. I placed it in a 1 gallon container and stuck 3 bamboo stakes into it (20 inches long each); at equal measurements all around in the soil. I use these to keep it to weave the vining twining growth of it intact so it doesn't get out of hand. I also did the same thing with my clock vine and corkscrew vines.

I can visualize them getting 'tied in knots'! Naughty, naughty.

The pothos gold always looked like it wanted to come and wrap around my neck while I'm sitting at the computer. Thank god it got a tiny bit of frost nip; then I felt better about clipping it down. I've got to get that 'Helichrysum, Licorice Plant' out of one pot though.

~* Robin

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Mmmm....Lady Margaret. I just ordered that one from Logee's. I'm wondering how they handle shipping in cold zones like ours, though.

Well, my maibox is a standard Roadside one; so the P.O. puts them in a plastic bag hanging onto it. But most times senders pack them well enough to be insulated. The cardboard boxes do retain a lot of heat. However, in this freeze (it's been as low as 19 degrees, already; with a wind chill of 12 degrees;) overnight would do damage.

Styrofoam, the pellets & newapaper insulate too.

~* Robin

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm guessing they'll come via UPS, but maybe not. If that's the case, they won't sit outside my house, but I know their trucks can get awfully cold.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I just checked and they were shipped on the 16th. Hmmmm.....that means they will likely be sitting somewhere over the weekend. :-(

It says they were shipped via UTU. What is that?

This message was edited Nov 18, 2005 6:01 PM

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

UTU stands for United Transportation Union, so your plant must have been shipped by train.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

It actually came by USPS! I got it on Monday, and the plants were fine, even though it was below freezing here. I am VERY pleased with the size and new growth on them, and one of the abutilons actually has a few flower buds on it.

kbaumle,

Can you tell me how they were packed up?
foam, or wood shavings etc....

~* Robin

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

They had white finely shredded plastic excelsior around the base of each plant, with black plastic wrapped around that and the plastic pot. Then they used paper to wrap around the foliage and the pot several times and folded it over at the top. They were laying in a tall box, side by side with air pillows taking up the rest of the space. Those plants weren't going anywhere. They were packed nicely, although I doubt they would have survived being out in my mailbox for real long, as cold as it was here that day (and is even colder now).

It says on their website that shipping is dependent on weather both in Connecticut where they're located and weather where they're being shipped. They must have decided they would be okay, or they wouldn't have sent them. And they were.

kbaumle,

The white finely shredded plastic excelsior didn't get staticy?

~* Robin

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

No. It was moist, actually, and did a nice job of protecting the new growth that was along the stems.

Did you save any of it, kbaumle? If you did; could you please send me a small amount so I can examine it?

~* Robin

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, Robin, I'm sorry, I didn't. :-( They came on Monday and the trash went on Wednesday.

That's ok.

I usually save packing material from other traders when they send/trade live plants with me so I don't have to 'hunt' for something that is 'just right.' It gets put in a clear plastic bag, on a shelf in garage till I need it.

I used to have to collapse boxes and such, to keep in a closet or under the bed. They were also placed in garbage bags to keep them clean.

Thanx anyway.

~* Robin

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I think if I saved any more packing stuff, including boxes and peanuts and air bags and plastic bubble wrap, my husband would kick me out of the house. I have shelves in the garage where I keep that stuff for when I need it for eBay or other shipping. I probably should have kept it, but it wasn't really very much, so I didn't.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.