damp off

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I recall at one time seeing a posting that suggested an herb (I think) mixed with water to use to prevent damp off. I am trying to root a special fuchsia called gartenmeister because it is hard to find but it is, bar none, my favorite plant in the garden. Can anyone tell me what it is and how to use it?

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Betty all I know to prevent damp off is Hydrogen Peroxide, 1/2 cup to 1 gal. water. You might try a bubbler too. It sur is pretty.
Sidney

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I've used Baking Soda mixed with water and sprayed over leaves to reduce boytritis (moldy stuff that looks like the green stuff that grows on bread). This works well with Fucshias as cuttings and removing dead or damaged leaves immediately improved success.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks, you 2. I removed the blooms and leaves from the ones in the vase and cut off the top about 8 inches down and a little off the bottom. I stuck them in a soil mix after dipping them into rootone. I see a few tiny leaves trying to come out on the stems.
But I know damp off can be a killer so I will try the peroxide. I have not had any mold of any other kind yet.
I am trying to root about 15 or 20 of these. I will be ecstatic if I get 5 or 6 of them to root, lol.
I have 4 of the adult plants now in the basement, cut back and resting...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.