Marigold seeds

Rockford, IL(Zone 5a)

I went over to my Aunt house today and snatch her Marigold seeds.
Some of the pictures turned out to be blury, but this is the best of all the one I took.

Linda

Thumbnail by creadman
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I will tell you a trick on marigold seeds tho.
I found this out the hard way.
Those black seeds aren't all good viable seeds.
The black seeds need to feel hard. If they feel empty or soft, there isn't a good embryo in that seed.
Just a tip I have. Tho this can be true for most seeds. There needs to be a hard part of the seed so it can grow. I work for a grass seed company so I do know that for even grass seeds.
Carol

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I've been saving my Marigold seed for 20 years. I just take an old coffee can out and drop a bunch in that. I leave it uncovered in the cool basement all winter. I toss them around in the veggie garden in spring and move them where ever / when ever I need a few.
Great little flowers.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

That sure is a pretty picture of a marigold.
What is the name of it?
Would you be interested in trading it with me?
Carol

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Carol, Friends gave me these seed way back when. They only said that they had been saving the seed for many years and liked them. No name.
If you want to see them in more detail they are featured in a short Photo Show I compiled a couple of months ago. Click on the 'Autumn Marigold Patch' show.
http://Photoshow.comcast.net/fantasyfinishes/favorites
These occasionally do the color 'Echo' thing, really cool. (Not this year though)
If you want seed, just DM me with your address and I'll send you some.
Andy P

Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

Sarahskeeper, those are AWESOME marigolds, went and looked at the photoshow, so cool :)

Janis

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Great Show! Wouldn't have missed it.

Rockford, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you for the tip Daisy

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Any time.

Weymouth, MA

Sarah's keeper
I'm a new member and just got a look at your beautiful pictures. I'm in Weymouth
and wanted to know how to keep the merigold seeds. What a great job you did on
those pictures. I remember the snow and glad it's over ( i hope). Wanted to know my
zone too.

Mary

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Mary, We are in the middle of Zone 6.
Average last Spring frost date is in the 3rd week of May.
First Autumn frost is usually the 3rd week in October.
~~~Last Fall was weird. I had Dahlias in bloom until mid November.~~~
Andy P

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I have a few questions about Marigold seed. I just love the French Dwarf Safari Yellow. Will they come true if I save the seeds and if so, will they eventually revert after a few years? How long should you leave the spent blooms on a plant before you havest the seeds? If the flower is all brown and you pick it off, are the seeds ready?

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Beaker, The seeds are ready to pick when the seed pod turns tan/brown and is dry. I pick them late in the season (I don't generally deadhead Marigolds.)
Store them whole in a paper envelope. Clean them before planting in the spring.
Andy P

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi Sarahskeeper, I am new at gardening... I love marigolds and right now I have tons of it... I am keeping seeds for next year... but I open them and let it dry in the sun ... (that's how we did it in Brazil) but I know that things here are different... should I not do that? sometimes I just deadhead the plant and open the flower and let it dry... are those seeds ok???

Thanks

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Kassia, I let Nature do the work. When they are dry, I pick and store them. That way I know they are mature.
If you open the pods up and look at the individual seed, are they black? If not, they are not ready.
Andy P

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

I looked at today... they are black but they feel empty... from now on I will just just pick them... I still have a lot.
thanks Andy~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.