Identify this Florida bush please....

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I simply can't remember the name of this bush, can anyone help me out? It's like a copper bush, but has the green leaves with a pastel salmon rim to each. Same fuzzy long "flowers" as the copper bush.
MeryMary

Thumbnail by MerryMary
Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Copper Leaf, Jacob's Coat (Acalypha wilkesiana).
Comes in assorted colors. Mine is more like yours but a bit more pink/copper
Jan...

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

Nice going Jan. I mentioned I had lots of these when I met you over the weekend. Here is a picture of some of my var's. If you want some, just ask.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Art, I had no clue this is the same bush as my other copper bushes, just a different variety! You have quite a collection going!
:) Thanks to both you and Jan...
MerryMary

Russell, KY(Zone 6b)

How did all these plants hold up with the storm? How tall do you normally keep them?

The bush I have shown above, stands around 8 feet, but is next to a privacy fence, so handled the winds fairly well this time around. My normal copper colored copper bushes arent as tall, so did fine. I'm in Central Florida, so last year's storms (we had 3 of the 4 hit us) really took a toll on my yard, but things have come back nicely this year.
MerryMary

So Art? Does this look like the same kind of copper bush you have in your pics?~MerryMary

Thumbnail by MerryMary

MerryMary, yep the second from the left is the exact same bush. Below is a shot of it as a single. I keep it at about 6 feet. This shot is from the outside, or the South part of the yard looking into a corner of the fencing around my pool. The fence is made up of four foot wide sections with four foot spaces between sections. I have two copperleaf's between sections on this side. I will show you the other one in the next post.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Here's another one. It's shades of greens and beiges. It's between sections of fence around the pool area. The pool area is in the center of the yard. There are large chunks of yard on the north and south sides of it. I wanted a fence for privacy but didn't want to be fenced in, hence the spaces filled with bushes. This shot is also from the south side of the yard looking north at the pool area.
At the time of the shot it was not quite filled in yet. It was just getting to six feet but not all over. Now after the storm it needs to re leaf itself, which it's doing. In a month or so it will be better than ever.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Here's a red and maroon one against the south side fence looking from the back of the south side of the pool area. This one was flattened when the fence fell during Wilma. The fence is my neighbors. I am in the process of moving this bush it to another space between fences in the pool area after I remove a hibiscus from the spot I want this bush to go in.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Art, those are beautiful! Where did you find so many color combos? The beige and green combo I have never seen before, it's incredible!
Mary

Mary, there is a house on Broward Blvd. just about a mile from University Dr. on the North side just before the large condo development and the small bridge. You actually can't see there is a house there, but the sidewalk on the property side is lined with dozens of these bushes about 15 feet high. It's like a jungle of them.
You have someone drive the car and let you off then walk over and take all the cuttings you desire. You couldn't find where you made a cutting if you tried.
They have every color combination imaginable there.

That's where I got mine.

Art

Russell, KY(Zone 6b)

....and this morning passersby will be wondering about all the cars dropping off folks with pruning shears....

I am so there!

Lake City, FL(Zone 8b)

WOW - what a great collection! I had no idea there were so many different ones. I have the multi colored leaf variety but have to keep it in a large pot and move into the greenhouse in the winter months as I'm afraid the frost here would kill it.

When you go looking for the place, remember if you pass a little bridge with a lake and condo development you have gone too far west. It's just east of the small bridge.
There is no place to park so someone has to drop you off, make u turns then pick you up.
No one will bother you there. I have been there often.

Here is another var. In this picture the plant was there because I had no other place to put it. It was too big for a pot so I planted it in this spot. It has since been cut back and moved to a pot.
This one has a bunch of colors.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons
Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

Art, those are all beautiful. It must be a real treat to walk outside and be greated by all those fabulous plants. I sure wish I could have one remain evergreen here in zone b. I'm between Destin and Panama City so I don't think I can push the envelope that far. Thanks for sharing the photos.
Barbara

Oh Oh OHHHHH, I definitely need one of the beige and green ones!
I'm putting on my black turtleneck and and preparing for a night snipping now! ( I think it's a 4 hour drive from Orlando?) Maybe we should all make a Florida round-up meeting out of the copper bush "harvesting" event! A little wine, a little cheese, and clippers in hand! :)

Mary, I have been trying to give away several of these at our local GT's and even the recent round up we had at Molly's. No takers. they are not classy enough for the formal gardens our local group has. They also get big. Only a couple of us have room enough for them.
I have a couple small multi green growing and can make cuttings of any colors I have if you want them. If you know MollyMc, perhaps you can make arangements with her to get them up there. She is moving to Levy by the end of this month.

Art

Art, are you willing to ship one if I send you the postage?

The only problem with shipping is I don't know how well the cuttings would hold up. I can package the small green one's that are growing, but all the other colors would be cuttings.
Let me know how you feel about the cuttings. Or, you can wait a while and I will grow some here, then ship them.
Let me know what colors you want.

Art

Art, I am mainly looking for one of the green and beige plants...I'm only looking for one, and will tend to it like crazy. Let me know if that will work for you or not, no pressure....I will be happy to send you the postage. I have crinum bulbs, bananas, etc if you want to trade.
MerryMary

Mary, send me your address by dmail and I will get it off to you.
Art

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Art,

I said my came thru the storm fine? hoho it now has one leaf....please don't give away all your plants...I may be calling..

Got lots I have or can grow for you Nancy. I just need to know what you want.

Art

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Art. I really liked that green and white variegated one. That is the one with one leaf. It looks so cool and summery.

Hap

Ok Nancy I'll save a growing one for you. Anything else?

Art

Art, You have DMail :)
MerryMary

That green and white copperleaf is the showiest plant in the yard. It always gets a good comment from everyone that see's it.

I guess I will start some more of them.

Thanks Mary. I'll get it out on Monday.

Art

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Art, Just got my net back, again, have been off since Fri...

I don't need anything else for now.

Thanks

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi.

Art, there are a lot of gardens, both private and public, that I want to see and yours is on the top of my list. You just keep coming up with picture after picture, specimen after specimen. Every time, I am amazed at the diversity you grow. I can't wait to get there.

My garden is so depressing here now. Everything is dormant, which is par for the course. We're expecting snow flurries for at least the next 4 days. The only thing left standing are 2 clumps of perennial grasses (8 feet tall). One species shows a tuft of beige at the end of the stalk and the other is white.

Counting the days until I get there.
Sylvain.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Even with the damage it's still heaven, Sylvain....see you soon.

Hap

Sylvain, I am just now beginning to convert my yard to a garden. It will take years.
Pictures just show my plants and bushes they don't show my yard and how big it is. My emphasis over the last five or so years has been to shut my yard off to the world. I did that by planting around the borders of my yard and my pool patio.
Now that I have met gardeners, the members of the SF Galloping Gardeners, and they are all gardeners, I am beginning to get a feel for what I have to do to turn my yard into a garden. It will be a long process, but the girls will guide me along my journey.
The girls are the one's that have the beautiful gardens, not me. I am just good at growing plants then I take pictures of them and show them here at Dave's.
Speaking of pictures, I just happen to have a couple today. This one is of Red Butterfly Wing, Christia vespertilionis. Val and I both bought this plant at the Heritage park plant sale. I send it along at this time because it's blooming. I wanted to show the blooms to Val. We were discussing these plants last week and I mentioned it. Perhaps the plant will make seeds. There is enough butterfly and bee activity in the nursery for polination.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Nancy, here is another plant you might like, it's from Butterfly World. When we visited there after the visit and plant exchange, we were all walking around the grounds getting cuttings and seeds. I planted mine and have had good results with two of them. One of them you already have, the giant milkweed. I gave it to you a while ago. The second one I have growing for all the SF Galloping Gardeners. It's a Candle Bush, Candletree, Senna alata. They are about 8-10" out of the pot now and growing nicely.
I copied a picture of it from the plant files and included it below. The picture was taken by ruthm.
I also have a couple of 3 gallon sized copperleaf's. One is reds and maroons the other is greens and multi other colors.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Yes, I remember that bush....it was on our way out.

I wouldn't mind having one. The copperleaf green and white is the one that I like. I have the maroon one. I still can't fine the one with the one leaf. It's totally gone or hiding at the present time.

That white flower.........isn't that the one I saw and everyone thought it was a weed? See, there are no WEEDS.....just mis-planted treasures..

Art,
I love the cassia alata. Mine is in full bloom but I will be cutting it way back after blooming. A couple of branches on one side got really heavy and broke in a heavy rain/wind storm early this summer.
I've gotten loads of seeds already. I see yours is seed laden also.
Jan...

This message was edited Nov 22, 2005 7:45 AM

Sylvain...have you ever considered the red twig dogwoods? Even in snow, their beautiful bright red bark color looks great!
~Merry

Nancy, that white flower is from the Red Butterfly Wing I bought at Heritage Park during the plant sale we attended. Val bought one two. I show the flowers because it's unusual for these plants to flower.
I was going to give you and everyone else a candletree anyway, at our next GT.

Jan, those candletrees at Butterfly World were loaded with butterflies. Do they attract butterflies where you are?

The picture of the candletree is not mine. It was posted in the plant files by ruthm.

Art

Art, my butterfly plant has some tiny buds. I think that it will flower like yours did. This is very exciting. I hope that it doesn't end like my other one which suddenly died. I hope it's a seasonal thing and that it will come back in spring.

The cassia alata is a major butterfly attractor. The cutting I have is growing really nice. They are fast growers, they can also get huge.

Val

Yes, there are times where there are anywhere from 6-10 sulfurs around it at any one time. It is also loved by bumble bees and a few other insects. If you go to this collage, you will see a picture of my cassia alata.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=1887959

This message was edited Nov 22, 2005 2:57 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.