If and when to collect holly bush seeds?

Or can you even grow them from the seeds? I know nothing about holly bushes, but we have a HUGE one that's full of berries, and I could get plenty if anyone was interested in them. Anyone know when and how to collect them? Some are red and some are yellowish.
Thanks!
RG

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

The Holly berries must have the cold stratification, so it is best to leave them on the bushes until Spring time... but collect some for yourself, as the birds really love them! We have grown some from seed, but it is a long, tedious process. It is quicker & easier to simply bend a branch downward & secure it with a stone. Roots will from where the soil is covering the branch. In a couple of months you will have a rooted plant. We keep the 1-2 year old plants in an unheated garage, until they are large enough to take a Winter on their own. That may not be an issue in your warmer zone. They are my favorite shrub! Hope this helps - Julie

Coast range of, OR(Zone 8b)

How about pulling the berries off and winter sowing them? I thought I'd try winter sowing this year and I have a verigated holly I'd like more of. I have found plenty of the non-verigated holly voluteering all over my property - but not the verigated....hum......?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Your varigated holly will have to be propagated through cuttings. It will not come true from seeds. This is a trait that isn't genetically passed on. You are most likely seeing the offspring of your varigated holly because they will have normal coloration.

Coast range of, OR(Zone 8b)

OH....That makes sense....drat though - I'm not so good at cuttings...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Try the layering technique that JRush described. You generally can't mange to layer dozens of branches the way you might be able to take dozens of cuttings, and layering can take some time, but it generally works quite well. Layering also takes less attention than cuttings do -- just pin the branch down to the ground and check on it in a season or so! For another alternative to rooting cuttings, search here or google for "air layering" techniques.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.