Frustrated by red tape

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

I'm itching to do some storytelling to the young children in the library. As a volunteer initially so that I can build up my repertoire/skills with this particular age group (early years mainly). Well, Jessica, the Young People's Librarian at my local library, was keen for me to do this initially and even said I could go with her to the schools.

But now it's fallen apart. She said in the summer that I might need a Disclosure. Went along to the library today to see what was happening. Had a Disclosure with me. Now she says it has to go before a meeting of the library and pleads all sorts of library stuff that has to be done. Anyway I've been firm and asked her to facilitate my doing voluntary work. The schools will have to be done separately though - can't be done through the library. I will have to contact headteachers myself (which is what I was expecting to do anyway).

I will keep a watchful eye on this. The situation has changed since I talked to Jessica initially in the early summer. Since then I've been up and down the country and have seen many top professionals and told stories to a number of them too. All of them said I was good! If Jessica fails to put this to the meeting then I will go over her head and ask for the matter to be taken up by her superior. And if the meeting rejects it then I will want to know why! I will really be causing the library service very little in the way of expense or resources and will bring in useful skills to them.

And if I have to write to them on this matter I will be sure to put all my postnominal letters on the letter. And that includes professional librarianship qualifications!

/act Diane steps down off her high horse.

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

Good grief! They should be honored that you would lower yourself to offer to volunteer your services to them! They couldn't find anyone near to the talent you have and are offering! Go for it and stir up all the trouble you can. There is some reason that that Jessica has changed her mind with out giving you a plausible reason for not wanting you. You've already caused more trouble with bigger and better people than she!
I've been off the computer , its been in a snit, but seems ok now, so I will have to read your other posts now. I will be awaiting to hear what happens next with dear Jessica! Doris

Thank you Doris. I think that Jessica may see it as causing her to have a larger workload. And also she has very little understanding of what storytelling actually is. She made a comment to me that it was "something gently nostalgic for the older generation". GRRR!!!! I don't think that she has seen very many traditional storytellers in action, only a few authors giving book promotions. The books that she reads her stories from are generally very poor quality literature - I wouldn't give them house room.

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Maybe you've hit the nail on the head there...she might be feeling threatened by you, perhaps she's seen you becoming more authorative and blossoming in your skills, and realises that hers are maybe not a patch on yours?

If she lacks confidence in her ability to do her job, then maybe someone else thats coming up with good ideas and suggestions makes her feel inadequate.Though ,what she should be thinking is thankful, that someone has volunteered their services, and I'm sure if the library has any sense ,so will they.

Stick to your guns (as you've had to do so many times before) and go for what you want .

It's awful that nowadays you have to have so much clearance/checks to do something voluntary, especially around children,I can understand it in some respects( I have a husband working in this field, so get to hear about all these regulations a lot! ) but on the other hand it also stops a lot of genuine people that want to help, they can't be bothered to go through the rigmarole.

Hello Sueone! No, I don't think she feels threatened professionally. After all, I basically have no chance at all of getting back into librarianship. I am finding it quite hard though to have to go through all of this simply to do a spot of voluntary work. I understand having to go through clearances these days as it is vital to ensure that youngsters are safe. Does seem to be a lot of hassle though for something that is basically quite simple. I want to tell a few stories to the children during their storytime periods at the library. I am providing my own resources including training. How simple is that?

Had a useful day out today. I noticed a Christmas shop open till just before Christmas, selling Fair Trade produce (is that what it's called?). Anyway I picked up several finger puppets, handmade in Kenya and Peru, that will help with this activity. Jungle animals and sets for the The Three Little Pigs and the Gingerbread Man. Hurray!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.