Lets see what happens to this Jacobs coat cutting

Abbottstown, PA(Zone 6a)

Starting Today Thursday november 10th

I am trying an expierment on two cuttings of jacobs coat,
1 I have in Peroxide/distilled water solution
1 I have in willow tea

If I had 1 more I could of tried it in soil.

What do you think will happen?
any ideas?
vicki

Thumbnail by vwetzel
Abbottstown, PA(Zone 6a)

Another pic, same ones

Thumbnail by vwetzel
Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Nope...no idea....but looking forward to following this. :)

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

I'm going to bet on the willow tea. How did you make the willow tea?

Abbottstown, PA(Zone 6a)

I got the info from someone in chat , I cant remember who though.
Take a a 6 inch willow twig and boil in about a quart of water till it looks murky , cool and use. Keep what you dont use in fridge.
vicki

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

http://www.bluestem.ca/willow-article1.htm

Abbottstown, PA(Zone 6a)

Today monday the 14 th
I checked both cuttings and the one in:

peroxide solution - shows a little white nub at the 2 bottom nobes,

Willow tea - shows redish looking nubs at the bottom nobes.

I wonder why they are different colors?

I will post pics soon.

Vicki

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

Ohh, that is interesting. I can't say why exactly, but I would guess it has something to do with the fact that H2O2 oxidizes.

Abbottstown, PA(Zone 6a)

I was thinking the same thing,,, Its slow going with them as soon as I see more growth I will post a pick.
vicki

Abbottstown, PA(Zone 6a)

Today the 19th I took pics of the 2 cuttings. 2 days ago I noticed some fast growth on the one to the right that was in willow tea. I had to take the one out of the tea because my camera would not show the growth. So this is the progress so far. It has been 9 days so far.
vicki

Thumbnail by vwetzel
Abbottstown, PA(Zone 6a)

another pic

Thumbnail by vwetzel
Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

I've been following this experiment. Wow - so far that's an amazing difference. I'm really interested because I have two giant willow trees. Keep us up to date .... thanks.

Abbottstown, PA(Zone 6a)

Granny
Are your trees the weeping willow ones?
If so , Just go out take some cuttings and put them in water and change the water everyday or other day. In about 2 weeks you will have Roots. They are the easiest trees to grow. Now you could try the willow water or the peroxoide solution and see if they root much faster. Let us know ok.
vicki

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

Vicki, yes, they are weeping willows. I think I'll try that - thanks!

Abbottstown, PA(Zone 6a)

Granny
Its exciting to see things make new forms of life, Enjoy : )
vicki

Abbottstown, PA(Zone 6a)

UPDATE ON JACOBS COAT!!
Ok its been a month since I last posted, and waited and wonderd if anything would happen, well WOW the one in the willow tea went mushy and died,, Now the one in the peroxide is doing great.
LOOK AT THIS PIC. it was taken today 12-20-05

Thumbnail by vwetzel
Abbottstown, PA(Zone 6a)

pic 2

Thumbnail by vwetzel
Abbottstown, PA(Zone 6a)

pic 3

Thumbnail by vwetzel
Abbottstown, PA(Zone 6a)

Now it has several leaves and a white root or 2 , so I am wondering when I should plant it in potting soil. I might just do that today beings it has some white roots comming out the side, Whats ya think?
vicki

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

I bet the H202 sterilized the cuttings container. I bet if you tried again, but changed the willow water every so often. You'd get a different result. I've loose half of my cuttings on a regular basis from rot.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Is this Jacob's Coat the same as Acalypha wilkesiana? If so, it is quite easy to start in a pot with good potting soil and perlite. I did 2 pots (6 inch pots) of 4 cuttings each this past summer and lost 1 cutting with no special care. Is water rooting faster than sticking them in some medium?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.