The EU RR is on it's Way!

oiartzun-near san se, Spain(Zone 8a)

Welcome Lixi!
It's nice to hear from another gardener in Greece. It sounds as if you're settling in well. I lived in Greece,(on Corfu), for nearly 4 years in the eighties, but in those days I lived in various flats in the main town and gardening was not an option. I finally settled in Northern Spain,(I'm English), and for the last 5 years have been lucky enough to have a garden, which I'm slowly learning to manage. I can grow things which are not hardy in the UK, and also sow things much earlier, but like you I still have to look out for frosts.....the climate here seems to be similar to where Philomel lives, just on the other side of the Pyrenees. I hope you will join in our RR, which I want to take part in again too. You also showed an interest in the tomato RR, which I'm waiting to receive,(hopefully soon), from Canada. Could you Dmail me your address so that I can send it on to you? Then you would send it on to Patbarr in England. Both Pat and Lelan,(the organiser), are happy with this arrangement. Thanks.
Maggi xxxx

south-west Peloponne, Greece(Zone 9a)

Hi Baa, Philomel and Sorgina!
Thanks for your welcome!!! Iīm really happy to be with you and hope, you will ignore my "holpering" English!
Iīll try to "watch" this thread, but just canīt get these rolling eyes on it, as it should be ... me technical idiot, you know ...
The climate here should be a little bit warmer than in southern Franc or northern Spain, but we still get frost in the mornings from time to time and there are a lot of plants coming up from there roots every year because they were frozen to the ground.

@Maggi: As I understood the way of the tomatoe-RR, it will reach me first (and is already on its way to me!!!) - so, if you like some extra seeds, you should tell me within the next days. Iīll send you my E-mail just now (if I can manage).

looking forward to the new RR!

Lixi

Rethymno, Crete, Greece(Zone 10b)

Hello Lixi, nice to hear a Hamburger (what a nice city !!!) has settled in Pylos, the home town of homeric Nestor, the king who could speak the languages of birds!

From what you describe, the free abundant water you have nearby is indeed a rare gift for the greek summers, long and dry as anything.

All my best wishes for your garden in Pylos. And I hear about tomato seeds coming your way, if there is something you think might work for the Cretan summer conditions, please remember me !!

Dimitri

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

Hello Lixi, It's good to have a new member in our European forum. It is interesting to see what everyone else is growing. We will have to give a report at the end of the year on how the seeds from the R.R. have done.

I'm quite envious of the long hot summers you get, and you are very lucky to have your own water supply.

We are having far more frosts this winter than we have had for a long time in England, but it just seems to be holding the spring flowers back a bit. I've not noticed any casualities yet, but will have to see if things like fuschias have survived.

Pat

Seward, AK

dpmichael, thanks for enlightening the northern world... the other Carol

Rethymno, Crete, Greece(Zone 10b)

Carol, what have I done now?

I only mentioned to Lixi that the small port of Pylos has a very significant meaning in ancient greek history, that's all...

I hope it did not annoy you, and anyway all these are outside the scope of a European RR so I stop further comments here.

This message was edited Mar 1, 2006 6:14 PM

Seward, AK

dpmichael, nooooo! Did I seem annoyed? I was truley grateful for the explanation of the whitewashing of trees! It was back aways in this thread and you filled in even the mix that was used and even some of the history involved. Things like that are mysterious to people this far north.... The other Carol

south-west Peloponne, Greece(Zone 9a)

Thanks to all of you for your wellcome!
@dpmichael:
The Nestor Pallace is just some kilometers far from us, we take all our guests there because it is really fantastic. Has a little 2000++ years old bathtub within, wich shows still the painting on the ceramic!
I didnīt know that King Nestor is said to have understood the language of birds, but no wonder: there is an enormous lagoon with thousands and thousands of birds quite near from his place, so he might have had enough "discussion-partners" :)
If you like some heat-loving tomatoes, I can help you with my own! There is a coctail- tomatoe (for spring) wich I grow now for nearly ten years and a really wonderful big and fleshy one, I got from my mother in law. Just send me your adress!

@Patbarr:
Pat, I do remember this awfully long winter-months ... every ten years or so, we had a winter wich didnīt want to leave at all... Donīt have them any more, but on the other hand there are July and August in Greece: so hot, that you have to stay in the house for half of the day ...only good for any sort of night-life!!!

Have a nice evening!
Lixi

london, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

LInk to Round Robin Part II, in case anyone's missed it:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/585402/

oiartzun-near san se, Spain(Zone 8a)

Thank you Mike - I had missed it!
Maggi xxxx

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.