Garden Clubs

Rockford, IL(Zone 5a)

Please post your Midwest's Garden Clubs.
Thank you, Linda.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh heaven's...I'm so far out in the boonies, I doubt if there are any near me. But I'll keep this thread on 'watch' and maybe someone will clue me in to something I can join.

~julie~

Rockford, IL(Zone 5a)

WI Clubs
http://www.hort.wisc.edu/mastergardener/clubs.htm

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks Creadman! I found one in the next town over. (Cool!)

~julie~

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

None 'round here, either.

I've been thinking that maybe when I've got some time on my hands (like when I'm 80, perhaps?!) I might just have to start one!

Julie...you should join that one in RC. I've heard of their plant sales (on the radio) in the spring.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Nan...have you heard about the annual "Perennial Plant Sale" at St John's here in Muscoda? It's held, I think, two weeks before the Mushroom festival...and then again during the festival. I got some really good deals there last year. (Corkscrew Willows...in gallon pots...probably 4-6' tall...for $5.00 each!)

The RC club sounds pretty good...didn't know it existed. (Yes...I've lived in the area since '76. Duh!)

~julie~

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I have heard about that, Julie, now that you mention it....but I'm usually travelin' north on the weekends rather than south!

But I'll have to keep it in mind...thanks for reminding me!
(Psst...now when is that boy of yours gonna show up for cleaning?! lol!)

At first glance it doesn't look like a Gardening Club but it most assuredly is and they have a kick butt plant sale every spring and they host quite a few quality seminars-
http://www.mcdef.org/

This gardening club is my favorite-
http://www.for-wild.org/
They hold monthly meetings and have ongoing workshops and seed swaps that are very productive. There's a chapter close to you here-
http://www.for-wild.org/chapters/rockriver/

The Illinois Native Plant Society is normally pretty good but they are experiencing some changes in leadership right now. I was asked to take over the Chapter for our area but am not in a position to get involved at that level. I'd much rather play here at DG! Sooner or later somebody will take the reins for our area here in Northern Illinois.

The Natural Garden isn't a club per se but it offers many educational opportunities-
http://www.thenaturalgardeninc.com/

Same deal with The Possibility Place-
http://www.possibilityplace.com/

Sadly, Wisconsin has the corner on the market in great gardening clubs.

Have you checked into what's available at the Morton Arb or Chicago Botanic?

There are some great organizations out there though that address gardening concerns but very few specifically for gardening in our area.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

'Lib' you make me so regretful when you mention the Morton Arboretum and Chicago Botanical gardens...I lived in that area for nearly 10 years and never got to see either one. (I *did* make it to the Flower and Garden Show at McCormack (sp) place a couple of times...and I was in 7th Heaven!)

~julie~

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I think we should plan a late spring outing to Chicago Botanic Gardens. I definitely want to go back there.

Thumbnail by kbaumle

How about a long weekend for those interested in more than one public garden? One day at ChiBo and the other day at Morton Arb? If people have to get back home the second day, that's ok. I'd have to suggest a visit to both The Natural Garden as well as The Possibility Place.

If this is planned for a weekend that my husband goes camping with the boys, I can take in an easy 5 ladies or 2 ladies (set of bunk beds, sorry) and 3 couples. Suprisingly, I do cook although I prefer restaurant reservations (lazy). If anyone has allergies to pets, this is not the house for you. Other than that; room, board, and hot showers/baths would be FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm in!!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Depending on the dates, I'ld love it.

Kelly

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

WAIT A MINUTE!!! This invitation sounds like a great idea BUT, you may not be aware of how difficult it is to get 'Lib's Address! (I have MORE to say...things along the lines of what's happening to Sandy right now...but I deleted them. ~mwaaahaahaahaa~)

~julie~

I'll give you all the GPS location and you should have no problems getting here. It would be like our own little DG geocaching. What fun! Remember those "Find Waldo" books... well this will be sort of like that only a "Find Lib" hunt.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

LOL I *knew* it!!! She makes a game out of *everything!*

~julie~

"This is a test. This DG Upper Midwest Gardening Forum is conducting a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. This is only a test."

"This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. The DG broadcasters of your area in voluntary cooperation with the Federal, State, and local authorities have developed this system to keep you informed in the event of an emergency. If this had been an actual emergency in which Lib's address was needed, the Attention Signal you just heard would have been followed by official information, news or instructions. This DG station serves the Upper Midwest Gardening Forum area. This concludes this test of the Emergency Broadcast System."

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Did anyone hear that signal?? (I think it was "HIJACKED THREAD" emergency sound! TOOOOOOOOOOOOOT )

And now...back to our regularly scheduled program...

If I ever get back to the Chicago-land area, visiting the Chi-Bo and Morton Arb are most definitely on my agenda.

~julie~

Rockford, IL(Zone 5a)

You're so funn Equil LOL.

Have you been to the three domes in Milwaukee, WI? It's been awhile since I've been there, but meaning to go there someday....sigh....

Linda

Hey Linda, Funny... I assumed you were a him but you are a her! That creadman threw me for a loop. I just love it when things are not as they appear!

I love the Mitchell Domes. We've been there a few times. I particularly love to go there around the holidays when they put out thousands of poinsettias. The whole place is aglow with warm and fuzzy feelings. I've been there once when it was hailing outside and it was really weird but I loved it.

You're not that far away from some really choice nurseries out there in Rockford and then you do have all those nice antique malls out your way! Lucky you!

Lauren

Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

I used to be pretty active at the Dubuque Arboretum, but I have had to give that up for now. But I highly recommend it! (Wonderful Hosta Gardens too, lol)

http://www.dubuquearboretum.com/

I can play tour guide anytime, rofl!

Rockford, IL(Zone 5a)

Antique malls? Oh yeah, we have quite a few of them here, but I never go to them....LOL. Either I'm playing in my garden, cross-stitching, working, reading a book or working on my website.

AND.....daily visits to DG!

Linda :)

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Linda,

What's your web site addy?

Kelly

Rockford, IL(Zone 5a)

Handwriting for Kids
www.handwritingforkids.com/handwrite

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Creadman - there are several good clubs in town. I've been thinking about joining one, myself. The neighbor lady is always on the annual garden walk - I should check with her to find out which club sponsors it.

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

The garden club is coming here in a few weeks, but not to see my garden. DH and DS put up about 46,000 Christmas lights every year.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

ooooo, Jody,,,,take pics for us to see,,,,please

Kel

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

46,000?!? Wow!

The extent of my Christmas decorating is putting up a tree in the living room, a wreath on the front door, and a light up plastic snowman in the front yard.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Didn't do a darn thing with Christmas decorations last year,,,,maybe I will this year,,,,we'll see,,LOL Usually do the outside lights during opening weekend of hunting season which is this weekend,,,,don't know,,,we'll have to see how the weather is

Kel

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Maybe that's why we don't do lights? If we did, DH would have to be the responsible party, and he hunts.

46,000 Christmas Lights...
I have to tell you all that this is one of those times I am glad I am Jewish. No way would I want her electric bill for the month of December! We do have a tree in the house for the kids but it only has a few strands of lights on it.

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

lol - I'm Southern Baptist, so I don't have that excuse :) Just plain ol' lazy

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

DH has been doing this for about twelve years now. One year he hardly put anything up, and then I happened to meet a teenager whose family had been driving about twenty miles every year, since she was a "little girl," to see our lights. He felt bad for slacking that year and has made it bigger and bigger each year.

Thumbnail by jasmerr

Come and move next door to me, please. That's beautiful.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh, wow!!
Good for you!

I love having lights outdoors during the season, but think of it as such a *chore*, (mostly because I despise the cold, lol!) and I admire those who go to all that work for the enjoyment of others.

There's a place down the road from us that puts up *LOTS* of lights each year.....you can see the 'glow' for miles!
These folks start about Halloween....and they usually have them on right about now (which I think, IMHO, is too early)

That's our tradition too (like the little girl).....drive around on Xmas Eve to look at the lights.....though there aren't too many out here in the sticks! Wish yours was closer!

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

You can't see all everything in this photo. He has a life-sized wire sleigh and reindeer, and full nativity. Each year Santa does something different - riding a three-wheeler, swinging, driving the dingo, snowboarding - don't know what he will be doing this year.

The above photo was from last year; the one in this post is from a couple of years ago taken from our driveway entrance.

Thumbnail by jasmerr
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

OMG Jody,,,,AWESOME,,,,,,it is so beautiful,,,,can I borrow you guys to do mine?????LOL

Kelly

Thornton, IL

We have been going to Ross Township in Merrillville, Indiana to see the light display at the park. It's on a lake and they have fireworks every Saturday, for $3 per car, we tune the radio to Christmas music (they have a sign that gives the station no.) It sounds hokey but we can't stop ourselves from driving out there for the past three years now!

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Doesn't sound hokey to me sounds like our house!

DH plays Christmas music and last year projected Christmas movies on the side of our white enclosed trailer. People would actually stop in our driveway to watch the movie! I bought him a deer counter for Christmas a few years ago. He uses it to count how many cars come through our driveway. Last year we had 80 cars from 6:00pm Christmas Eve until 6:00pm Christmas Day. We wave from inside the house, or walk outside and talk with people.

I really inadvertently hijacked this thread!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

The weekend is here. Well it will be tomorrow afternoon for me,,,after I get done in the Salon. Still haven't decided,,,lights or no lights,,, ah,,,that is the question,,,,I guess I'll see what tomorrows weather brings.

Kelly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.